Chicken with allergies?

ilovechickensx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
UK
Hi there,

A few months ago I got some new chickens, one was sick when we bought her (Respiratory infection) and all hens were treated with ABs and it went. A month or so after, one of the other girls started sneezing - 3 courses of ABs made no difference. It's been going on for two months - just sneezing with an occasional wheeze, no other symptoms at all.
I use wood shavings in the coop - changed to newspaper for a few weeks in case it was too dusty for her - no change.
I used to get rolls of turf from the garden centre to keep them entertained - thought this may have been the cause so got rid of it all - no change.
There were some pots with flowers in by the coop - thought it might have been some of the flowers irritating her so moved them - no change.
The run got really dusty in the summer - thought the dust might have been causing it so I got fresh woodchip this week - no change.
Also had an outbreak of red mite and thought the DE may have caused it, but it's been over a month since I treated the coop with DE and she is still sneezing.
She has also been wormed twice in the past 4 months, so no gape worm.
Have checked her throat it all looks clear.

There is no discharge, puffy eyes, etc. None of the other chickens have caught it so don't think it is infectious. She definitely doesn't look sorry for herself and started laying last week.
I don't understand what is causing this, anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

It may be a virus such as Infectious Bronchitis which can last over a month. Usually it spreads though the flock causing sneezing and nasal drainage. It's not very serious to adult chickens but can devastate young chicks. IB won't respond to antibiotics. Here is a list of common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It may be a virus such as Infectious Bronchitis which can last over a month. Usually it spreads though the flock causing sneezing and nasal drainage. It's not very serious to adult chickens but can devastate young chicks. IB won't respond to antibiotics. Here is a list of common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you I appreciate the help, but I have read the link and it doesn't sound like Infectious Bronchitis to me. She lays most days (only starting last week), eggs are not watery, shells are smooth, there is no discharge at all, hasn't spread to any of the other girls, been going on for well over a month. She eats for England and drinks plenty. It also seems worse during the day rather than at night.

It's got me stumped.

She doesn't seem too good this morning, lied on the floor breathing pretty hard, still bright eyed and alert though.

I've yet to find a good avian vet local to me who's answer isn't "more antibiotics", they've been on loads in the past 4 months which haven't worked so wouldn't like to pump them with more if I can help it.
Anyone have any idea at all?

Again, no other symptoms apart from sneezing and wheezing. ABs have no effect.
There is NO discharge through nose/mouth/eyes.
Been going on for over a month. It hasn't affected her in any other way since this morning - think it might be starting to take its toll on her.

Okay, I'm thinking she's actually egg bound and this is why she is laying down - not due to the sneezing problem.
She looks like she's struggling to lay, going to give her another hour or so and if there is no egg I will bring her in for a bath and keep her in for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom