Chicken having trouble breathing

IncognitoMode4723

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
Bertha, one of our three Australorp hens, has been having a little trouble breathing in the last week or two. When she is walking on the ground, she seems fine, she is active, chases bugs, and eats plenty and poos plenty. But when I pick her up or massage her crop, she opens her mouth and starts panting. She also sneezes sometimes, but nothing seems to come out. I was able to get a pretty decent look into her mouth and throat and it seems like nothing is stuck inside. I tried giving her olive oil twice in the last five days to see if it would help, but nothing changed and she just sneezed a bit. We cut the grass around the time this started happening, so I thought the problem might be that she ate a large piece of grass and it got stuck.

For additional details, her poo looks normal, and there was a patch of dirt that was growing fungus that my chickens might have eaten from. Please tell me what you think, I am getting a little worried. The only other health problems she has ever had before were bumble foot when she was about a year or two old, which never got that bad, and she laid a lash egg a year or two ago. There is a post about the lash egg and the bumble foot if anyone wants more details.

This is her poo.

Attachments

• POO.jpg
    POO.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom