Chicken with broken feathers

Brepayne3

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
i have a hen that has been with my flock since the beginning. She is eating, laying and seems to be ok. She is a little skidish and she looks terrible. She has broken feathers and missing feathers. I have searched for mites, increased her protein for feathers and nothing has improved. I’m new to all of this and am open to any ideas!?

Attachments

• 74A36ACF-3B11-404D-8ABD-90ADB78051F6.jpeg
    74A36ACF-3B11-404D-8ABD-90ADB78051F6.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 43
How old is she?
How much space do you have?

It does look like she's got some new growth coming in.
The broken ones will be replaced when she molts.

Was she like this when you got her? I would also be watching your other hens to see if they are plucking out some of her feathers.

i have a hen that has been with my flock since the beginning. She is eating, laying and seems to be ok. She is a little skidish and she looks terrible. She has broken feathers and missing feathers. I have searched for mites, increased her protein for feathers and nothing has improved. I’m new to all of this and am open to any ideas!?
Is this a new development or has she always looked rough? And how old is she? At about 16-17 months, most chickens go through their first hard molt. If that hits at about the same time as the fall weather change, some biddies get hit pretty hard with it. I learned that the hard way. I thought my poor little bantam hen was dying, but she came through beautifully - and has the prettiest plumage, now! Hopefully that's all that's "wrong" with your hen. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom