Chicken with cloudy eye

It’s been a week, and I have kept treating her, yet it is persistent! I do a saline rinse, making sure to get it in the eye, I put like a drop size of terramycin inside the eye, and recently I have put Neosporin around the eye (where it’s inflammed), I see no changes, in fact it seems to be more inflamed. (I do it 2-3 times daily). What should I do??
Can you get an updated photo?

IMG_4799.jpeg

This is the eye washed with water (ignore the feathers clumping, that’s from the neosporin and water.) the other eye is completely fine, there are no other symptoms and none of my flock is sick. She has an appetite, but has a difficult time finding food/competing with others. What should I do because it’s not healing. (She is also scratching her eye with her foot, that’s why we added neosporin.)

Get someone to help you open the eye really well, flush it generously with the saline and see if you can press any pus out or if there's something stuck in the eye.
I continued using saline and used extra, no improvement (with terramycin after). She seems to be in a lot of discomfort, is there anything else I can do??
IMG_4874.png

Her eye is cloudy, and seems to have some spots on it?? Her left face is inflamed and feathers appear to be falling out (maybe from neosporin, that’s what the white flakey stuff is, it dried). How can I treat her, she isn’t responding well to whatever I have done so far.

Is she eating, drinking, and getting around in the usual ranging area or run? Does her eye seem to be hurting when you are not handling her? You could look for some foreign body in her eye and under the lids. Chickens have a third eye lid (nictitating membrane) that close and opens. If that doesn’t show something, and she is still having discomfort, then you may have to see a vet.

She seems to be standing around often, and staying away from the flock (it’s not like she is weak or lethargic, I think she is afraid because she flinched at noises near her clouded eye which could mean she separates herself to not get pecked). She has an appetite, but doesn’t eat well because she has difficulty seeing. I haven’t seen her drink in a while (I haven’t been checking on them that often, but she has a considerably full crop.) I have difficulty seeing inside the eye as she refuses to open it unless lifted (during which she moves her head too much to see clearly). I believe she was scratching her eye because of the dried neosporin there, but aside from that she keeps it closed as much as possible. What should I be seeing under the nictitating membrane?

I was just saying to look for any foreign body, such as a seed pod, speck of dirt, etc. I am not a vet, but it sounds like she may have been pecked or gotten something into it. It may never get better, but hopefully she will be able to see out of the other eye.

One thing that happened was that she got washed with soapy water, could that have done it? I have noticed for a while before her eye had any issues was that the area above the eye was loosing feathers for a while, is that any sign? I think I’ll take her to a vet, they should be able to do something.

Back
Top Bottom