Chicken with cloudy eye

Chickens-diva

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
One of my chicken’s eyes is cloudy, and she doesn’t want to leave it open and keeps blinking. She is about 2 years old, and I haven’t seen this behavior yesterday. I believe it’s an infection, and I’m wondering what the best thing to do is.

Can you post a picture of the eye in good light? Could she have been pecked? Are there any other symptoms? Saline or eye wash is good to flush the eye to clean it, and then you can apply either Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin, or Vetericyn or other brand of eye gel 2-3 times a day

Can you post a picture of the eye in good light? Could she have been pecked? Are there any other symptoms? Saline or eye wash is good to flush the eye to clean it, and then you can apply either Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin, or Vetericyn or other brand of eye gel 2-3 times a day
IMG_4615.jpeg

This is the normal side

IMG_4616.jpeg

This is the hurt eye, she didn’t want to open it, and when open it was whiteish/foggy, she would open it occasionally but obviously didn’t like it…
IMG_4659.jpeg

(Apologies for the quality here) This is the injured eye, it’s inflamed, has some white on it. One thing to note, we washed this chicken today with hand soap, though we washed up to the neck, it may have gotten in her eye…

I’m currently planning to wash her eye with saline and put Neosporin, then let her sleep as it’s almost night here…

I have been administering terramycin every day multiple times a day to the chicken, and I have seen little improvement. Firstly, the cloudiness and “pushed back-ness” has gone away. However the area around the eye has become inflamed, and appears to be irritating her. She has no other symptoms, she has an appetite, no breathing issues, and doesn’t seem to be transmitting the eye infection. What should I do, the medicine seems to help a bit, but it’s been nearly a week and I’m wondering if there is something more effective that can be done.

I have been administering terramycin every day multiple times a day to the chicken, and I have seen little improvement. Firstly, the cloudiness and “pushed back-ness” has gone away. However the area around the eye has become inflamed, and appears to be irritating her. She has no other symptoms, she has an appetite, no breathing issues, and doesn’t seem to be transmitting the eye infection. What should I do, the medicine seems to help a bit, but it’s been nearly a week and I’m wondering if there is something more effective that can be done.
Can you get a clear photo of what the eye looks like now?

General care is to flush the eye with saline, look to see if there's any pus or debris that needs to be removed or pressed out of the eye, then apply your Terramycin.

IMG_4705.jpeg

This is the eye this morning before I administered medicine, it’s swollen, and she tries to keep it closed. Additionally, she seems to have less energy (but still an appetite) possibly due to pain or fear that others will bully her?

View attachment 3612758
This is the eye this morning before I administered medicine, it’s swollen, and she tries to keep it closed. Additionally, she seems to have less energy (but still an appetite) possibly due to pain or fear that others will bully her?
She may have some pus that need to be pressed out.
I'd continue with caring for the eye with ointment and saline.

General care is to flush the eye with saline, look to see if there's any pus or debris that needs to be removed or pressed out of the eye, then apply your Terramycin.

It’s been a week, and I have kept treating her, yet it is persistent! I do a saline rinse, making sure to get it in the eye, I put like a drop size of terramycin inside the eye, and recently I have put Neosporin around the eye (where it’s inflammed), I see no changes, in fact it seems to be more inflamed. (I do it 2-3 times daily). What should I do??

Back
Top Bottom