Chicken with Diarrhea

ChristinaMc86

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
New York
Hey everyone, I’m relatively new to owning chickens. I have a 1 year old chicken I found last year that has had the worst case of diarrhea for months. I’ve brought her to the vet 2x and he can’t seem to find anything wrong. He checked for worms, coccidiosis, and some other things. (I have to check the paperwork) anyway she was initially lethargic but now seems fine besides her terrible diarrhea. She’s eating and drinking normally and none of my other chickens have this problem. I’ll attach some photos maybe someone will recognize what this could possibly be. Thanks so much!!! (And sorry it’s pretty gross in advance) and yes she walked into my house and left me these amazing presents on the wood floor 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 9EAA1B5F-BEBF-4BB6-B9A8-0B725278978C.jpeg
    9EAA1B5F-BEBF-4BB6-B9A8-0B725278978C.jpeg
    612.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 3B3AE140-25FC-4785-BBD0-BD64BC5F2053.jpeg
    3B3AE140-25FC-4785-BBD0-BD64BC5F2053.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E15773C0-9AB0-4756-A28D-C5AE5EC98934.jpeg
    E15773C0-9AB0-4756-A28D-C5AE5EC98934.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 9
What do you feed, including treats?
When was her last egg - are her eggs normal?
Crop emptying?

Photos of her and how she stands?

I'd consider deworming and treating for Coccidiosis.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) liquid goat dewormer at 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Corid liquid at 2tsp or Corid powder at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days day as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins containing B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

After you finish deworming and treating for Coccidiosis, get some probiotics into her. Buttermilk stirred into her feed for several days or you can give 1 Acidophilus tablet daily.

See if she improves.

Just My 2¢

What is her weight and body condition like? What is her comb and face color like? Aside from being lethargic initially, did she show any other symptoms?

What is her weight and body condition like? What is her comb and face color like? Aside from being lethargic initially, did she show any other symptoms?
So she is pretty big. Not skinny at all. Her comb is red. Ill send you pics. Now with the colder weather its gotten a little smaller and lighter in color but I think thats normal?Other than being lethargic and just sitting around no not really.

Attachments

• AABDA62B-B8CF-42C7-9DA0-4261A44B24E6.jpeg
    AABDA62B-B8CF-42C7-9DA0-4261A44B24E6.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 13
Is vent gleet a possibility? That could explain the strong smell. I would try to get her some probiotics and see if that makes a difference.

Crop emptying?

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) liquid goat dewormer at 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Corid liquid at 2tsp or Corid powder at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days day as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins containing B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

After you finish deworming and treating for Coccidiosis, get some probiotics into her. Buttermilk stirred into her feed for several days or you can give 1 Acidophilus tablet daily.

See if she improves.

Just My 2¢
Ok so i feed her Purina layer crumbles as her main feed. Sunflower seeds, fruits, veggies, dried mealeorms (sparingly) she hasnt laid an egg in months. Ive brought her to the vet 2x. First time she had cecal worms. This time he said shes parasite free. He checked her for coccidiosis and said she was negative as well as some other tests. Im waiting for them to email the results so i can post them. Im worried about her. I initially thought it was vent gleet because it was just a clear whitish discharge but now im not so sure. It has a terrible smell and shes making a mess. Im worried as time goes on its going to get worse. This is her thiss morning.
Crop emptying?

Corid liquid at 2tsp or Corid powder at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given
Crop emptying?

See if she improves.

Just My 2¢

ays day as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins containing B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

See if she improves.

Just My 2¢

Ok so i feed her Purina layer crumbles as her main feed. Sunflower seeds, fruits, veggies, dried mealeorms (sparingly) she hasnt laid an egg in months. Ive brought her to the vet 2x. First time she had cecal worms. This time he said shes parasite free. He checked her for coccidiosis and said she was negative as well as some other tests. Im waiting for them to email the results so i can post them. Im worried about her. I initially thought it was vent gleet because it was just a clear whitish discharge but now im not so sure. It has a terrible smell and shes making a mess. Im worried as time goes on its going to get worse. This is her thiss morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 15
So she is pretty big. Not skinny at all. Her comb is red. Ill send you pics. Now with the colder weather its gotten a little smaller and lighter in color but I think thats normal?Other than being lethargic and just sitting around no not really.
Yes, its normal for her comb to be that size and this time of the year.
Is vent gleet a possibility? That could explain the strong smell. I would try to get her some probiotics and see if that makes a difference.
This was my thought.
I wouldn't give any treats, only her feed.

Back
Top Bottom