Chicken with large wound on top of her head.

ColinK48

Chirping
Feb 16, 2019
One of our new chickens this year has a large wound on her head. She was stuck in the fence today, and must have been cut. I think the other chickens pecked at her while I was at work as well. I feel so bad for her. Any recommendations? So far we have separated her, cleaned her wound and gave her antibiotics.

I doubt the antibiotics were necessary..unless it was an topical antibiotic ointment.
What did you use to clean?
Got pics of the wound?
I used diluted hydrogen peroxide. The wound is very gruesome, but from what I’ve read people seem to say they heal from pretty bad injuries. The wound is on the very top of her head right behind her comb. It’s probably 1 inch by 3/4 inch, and it goes down to what looks to be cartilage. It seems like all the skin layer are gone. I feel so bad for her. This all happened within 24 hours.

Sounds good!
They can indeed heal up for a scalping, it's pretty crazy.

Don't use any peroxide again, it will damage healing tissue, but it's a fine first flush.
Saline or betadine if rinse needed in future.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive will know other washes/rinses to use.
Pics would really help.
Ok thank you. I’ll take some pictures. It is very graphic though.

Sounds good!
They can indeed heal up for a scalping, it's pretty crazy.

Don't use any peroxide again, it will damage healing tissue, but it's a fine first flush.
Saline or betadine if rinse needed in future.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive will know other washes/rinses to use.
Pics would really help.
Here is a picture. I put some Vetericyn on it which is why it has a brownish tint to it.

Attachments

• 766D61D1-A9C9-45CD-921E-58420DEB204C.jpeg
    766D61D1-A9C9-45CD-921E-58420DEB204C.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I had a similar case. The new girl had a death wish and crossed to the old girl's side. Old girl defended her territory fearlessly. She opened a hole in her head, her eye swollened and all her head turned purple (haematoma?). I used a topic cream called neo-sept, the human version is neobol. I don't know if those meds are available in your contry. The active ingtedients are Neomycin and clostebol.

Also, clean her wound with warm water + Epson salt (1 tablespoon in half liter of water). Pour the water in her head for 5-10 minutes once a day for 5 or more days.

Mine was good as new in a month. I hope your girl has a speedy recovery!

OK, pictures are not in the correct order and I don't know how to fix it :hmm

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_064639.jpg
    IMG_20190411_064639.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190411_064632.jpg
    IMG_20190411_064632.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190411_064648_1.jpg
    IMG_20190411_064648_1.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190409_183539.jpg
    IMG_20190409_183539.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 12
I had a similar case. The new girl had a death wish and crossed to the old girl's side. Old girl defended her territory fearlessly. She opened a hole in her head, her eye swollened and all her head turned purple (haematoma?). I used a topic cream called neo-sept, the human version is neobol. I don't know if those meds are available in your contry. The active ingtedients are Neomycin and clostebol.

Also, clean her wound with warm water + Epson salt (1 tablespoon in half liter of water). Pour the water in her head for 5-10 minutes once a day for 5 or more days.

Mine was good as new in a month. I hope your girl has a speedy recovery!

OK, pictures are not in the correct order and I don't know how to fix it :hmm
Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom