Chicken with leg problems can hardly stand and walk

sainamara

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2018
Hello, I have a 2yo chick that has problems for about a month.
She is not able to walk, her legs are strange looking, with a thick layer on them. Most of the times she keeps her toes cripled, but extends them when standing. She can stand up, and stay like this for a few minutes, and then lies down. She eats and drinks. Sometimes it looks to me like she is blind :( I'm not sure.
I gave her B complex vitamins, after a few days she improved a walked a little.
I went to see the veterinarian, but I have to tell you, they were not so interested, luckily I found a vet that was working in egg farm, so she checked my chicken. She said that is probably dermatitis. Give me an antibiotic (enrofloxacine), A,D,E vitamins, and complete chicken feed.
After 6 days of treating the chicken, I do not see a big improvement in her ability to stand or walk (like when you have an infection, and after a few days on antibiotics you start to feel better). The thick layer on her leg is breaking and falling off faster, the skin beneath is so thin and gets injured easily, I see she has no scales.....
After she started the antibiotic, she refuses to eat, so I feed her by syringe, I'm giving her the complete chicken feed mixed with water and pureed. I give her flax seed oil too.
I plan to end the antibiotic today, because it is to be used for 4 days (it says on the instructions).
I would like to help my chicken, but do not know what to do anymore. I think she is pain. Here is a picture of her leg, both look like this.

Attachments

• 20180810_170734_resized.jpg
    20180810_170734_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
I know :( but there is a saying over where I live, "hope dies last".... I would not let go if there is something else I can do...

Back
Top Bottom