Chicken with Marek's? Help! UPDATE: HAVE TO CULL HER :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cherlyn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    1) What type of bird, age and weight: Lavender Araucana, about 16 weeks old, not sure as to the weight - seems to be a healthy weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Just laying in one spot in a corner, not putting weight on left leg whatsoever, leaning to the left
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few hours
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None that I can see.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? I found her next to the little plastic swimming pool, in some bushes - maybe she got tangled and somehow got injured?
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? Water and layer pellets, and grass
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure - have not seen her any yet since I noticed her issues.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Quarantine so far.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Self-treatment.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Hay in a coop. Sometimes she sleeps underneath the coop.

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Any ideas? She does not look well. Listless, no "spark" in her eyes (she is normally very flighty and feisty), and cannot bear any weight on her left side. Almost seems like she had a stroke, as her entire left side is a bit droopy. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe she fell from the perch and hurt something. I have a BO hen that fell and is crooked and she does well lays and holds a secure spot in pecking order. Do you think yours could have fallen?

4. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Nope... not really anywhere from where she could have fallen. [​IMG] They prefer to sit/lay, rather than roost.

~Cherlyn

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm wondering if she's got Marek's? That typically presents with one-sided weakness.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I dont know maybe us bumping it will spark ours to look. I'm sorry I cant be of help [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    is it possible that she dislocated her leg?

8. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Not sure... nothing appears to be out of place. My husband gets home in an hour and I will get him to help hold on to her so I can do a detailed exam.

~Cherlyn

9. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Wynette, this is what I am afraid of. If this is the case, do I need to cull? I need to read up on Marek's.

~Cherlyn

10. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Not looking good - her neck is now twisted and is off to the left, and she seems to only be able to look UP. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by