Chicken with no legs??

Wonderful news. You need to take him by work one day and show that little cutie to the vet that questioned your keeping him alive. He will probably be shocked.

Can we get more pictures of the cutie? I just love this chicken!

x2, I love hearing updates about him, please keep sharing.
love.gif

Fred is doing good.. Chipper as ever! He walked forward quite a bit tonight, both toward me and toward his apparent friend, Skye (the border collie). He seems to really like her!
Keep in mind, I did not set him near her and she didn't move. He walked over to and snuggled with her, all on his own.

Fred's doing well. His stumps are healing better than I expected.

I've come to the realization that he's going to have to go back out in the barn when he is well enough and the weather gets nicer :-(. I'm thinking to maybe get a rabbit hutch or something similar initially, then build him a special coop for him and a few friends. My chickens all free range everyday, lately in my horse barn because there's so much snow outside, but in the summer they roam around my entire farm. I couldn't let Fred out unsupervised/unprotected, especially now that he's made friends with the cats and dogs. He wouldn't know to run/fly away from predators.

I'm glad Fred is healing up so well.

Can I ask why you will be making him his own little house? Problem seperating from other pets that could be too rough?

Just a thought I had, we had a weaner piglet that injured its leg (a very long time ago, I was in high school!), anyway we used rubber tubing to cover his stump not tight to cut off circulation like a cap to protect the end. Took the tubing to size needed then melted the open end shut with a dowel rounded off on inside so no rough edges inside. While it was hot molded it so it was rather rounded on the outside. He used it for quite awhile until it wore out. Then didn't need it. (His name was porkchop reason he didn't need it) Maybe after Fred is healed up you could try something like that to protect the ends? I think large surgical tubing would work for him. Would be able to scratch a bit too. You would need to check it to make sure no debris got inside or irritation or just a base for adding "legs" that you want to try. Good luck to you both!

I'm glad Fred is healing up so well.

Can I ask why you will be making him his own little house? Problem seperating from other pets that could be too rough?

Just a thought I had, we had a weaner piglet that injured its leg (a very long time ago, I was in high school!), anyway we used rubber tubing to cover his stump not tight to cut off circulation like a cap to protect the end. Took the tubing to size needed then melted the open end shut with a dowel rounded off on inside so no rough edges inside. While it was hot molded it so it was rather rounded on the outside. He used it for quite awhile until it wore out. Then didn't need it. (His name was porkchop reason he didn't need it) Maybe after Fred is healed up you could try something like that to protect the ends? I think large surgical tubing would work for him. Would be able to scratch a bit too. You would need to check it to make sure no debris got inside or irritation or just a base for adding "legs" that you want to try. Good luck to you both!

I think he'd be better off in a more protected area because he can't get away from predictors. Also, he's become such good friends with my dogs, I don't I'd know if he'd even try to get away from my neighbor's pitbulls (if they get loose and come "visit") or the foxes that live on my property. I just don't think he'll be able to fend for himself like the rest of my chickens.

Chicken booties.. Good idea! I'll have to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom