Chicken with one eye? not sure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mgouffray, Nov 21, 2012.

1. mgouffray

mgouffray New Egg

May 26, 2007
    We found an abandoned chicken 2 days ago in the city. It was starved and sickly. I have been nursing it back to health for 2 days now and seeing improvements. It appears to have one good eye and an eye(?) that is shut. I am afraid to open the other eye ! I could post a pic but not sure what to do. Is there an eye inside or not? Could it be just a stuck eyelid?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Chickens have an outer eyelid and then an inner lid that sweeps side to side. You can take some neosporine with out pain killer in it, and massage into that eye. Without a pic it would be hard to say if an eye is there.......

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    BLESS YOU for taking her under your wing. The eyelid might just be stuck shut. Use neosporin or better, if you have some EYE ointment and gently massage it where the two lids meet to get it open so you can see whats going on in there.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    let us know if it opens, I had a chick with a black spot instead of an eye and now she is almost 13 weeks and her eye is always closed, but she is fine! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by