Chicken with oozing/leaky eye

Azurestrix

Hatching
Apr 10, 2021
Hi.

So the my issue is: I have a chicken that had some eye issue even when it was young. Its right eye was a little bit swollen and fluid was extensively coming out of it. The vet gave it some kind of antibiotic and it became (still was present a bit) better.
That persisted for months and seemed it was getting better but it was always oozing. Now that came back the chicken cant open its eyes and is leaking fluid plentifully (varies between yellow and lots of white bubbles). The vet gave it eye drops but they seem to be useless.

Could anybody help (like pointing to the good antibiotic family)? I read that maybe it is respiratory infection. Also no other chickens caught it, so it is probably not contagious?
The chicken seems fine overall active and stuff.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 1618046830390.JPEG
    1618046830390.JPEG
    75.1 KB · Views: 39
I would use a warm wet compress to get the crust off the face. Bausch and Lomb makes a good eye relief eye wash that can be used 2-3 times a day to keep the eye clean. A lonnger lasting ointment such as Terramycin eye ointment, or prescription drop or ointment may help. Do you see any pus in the eye? It is true that some chronic respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza can cause eye lid swelling and drainage.

The eye drops certainly helped a lot but the fluid is still there. Exactly like before. So it is going to relapse again. The bubbles are still in the fluid sometimes too.

Does she have a foul fishy or rotting dead carcass smell around her eyes, nares or face? If so, it's Infectious Coryza, which is a permanent lifelong chronic respiratory disease of poultry. If you are in the US, it would be best to call your state veterinarian and get testing done for Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). Do not breed from your infected flock as this is one of the biggest ways to spread disease and please do also keep a closed flock until your current birds pass away old age.

Back
Top Bottom