Chicken with pale, swollen eye. Bubbles in eye and runny nose

Chucklings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
Hi, I have a 'Gold star ranger' chicken at the age of 3 in a flock of 5. I have noticed today that she has a very swollen and pale eye (particularly bad on one side) and her eyes are bubbling. She also has a runny nose.
If anyone could recommend an antibiotic that is easy to get your hands on fast I would be really grateful.
Also, advice on whether or not to remove her from the flock.
Her droppings are totally normal, she seems a little down but nothing to be too abnormal.
Thanks everyone!!

Remove her from the flock and isolate her as far away as possible, but the others may already be exposed. Tylan 50 is a good antibioticand sells for $12. It can be given by shot in the breast muscle or by mouth for 3-5 days. Dose is 3/4 to 1 ml. There is a powder version for treating a whole flock, but it is expensive and since you don't know if they are drinking enough, it is hard to know if they are getting it.

Thanks so much.
Clinical signs: The clinical sign usually first noticed is watery eyes. Affected birds remain quiet because breathing is difficult. Coughing, sneezing, and shaking of the head to dislodge exudate plugs in the windpipe follow. Birds extend their head and neck to facilitate breathing (commonly referred to as "pump handle respiration"). ... is very true suggesting, Infectious Laryngotracheitis.
However mycoplasma also looks very relevant. So hard to diagnose chickens! I will invest in some antibiotics and considering some eye drops to soothe her.
She lifts her head and slightly opens her mouth every few seconds. It mentions on your link to remove the plug from their throats (if there is one...:s) Any experienced advice would be welcome. If not I would assume using a swab is fine but worried about choking her.
Thank again

Thanks so much.
Clinical signs: The clinical sign usually first noticed is watery eyes. Affected birds remain quiet because breathing is difficult. Coughing, sneezing, and shaking of the head to dislodge exudate plugs in the windpipe follow. Birds extend their head and neck to facilitate breathing (commonly referred to as "pump handle respiration"). ... is very true suggesting, Infectious Laryngotracheitis.
However mycoplasma also looks very relevant. So hard to diagnose chickens! I will invest in some antibiotics and considering some eye drops to soothe her.
She lifts her head and slightly opens her mouth every few seconds. It mentions on your link to remove the plug from their throats (if there is one...:s) Any experienced advice would be welcome. If not I would assume using a swab is fine but worried about choking her.
Thank again

I think with ILT there is bloody mucus that comes out the nose. It is possible to get birds tested by calling your county extention agent or the state dept of agriculture. Necropsy of sick birds is also a way to know exactly. Many times also, there are more than one of the diseases acting together--this will sometimes create more symptoms.

Thanks very much. Couldnt het my hands on any Tylan so bought a more general antibiotic (respiratory problems inc) given via drinking water. Shes had this for 3 days now and her eyes have stopped leaking as much and her breathing seems a little better. Her eyes are still very swollen though, and I would assume this is what is causing her feathers to get so matted as she cannot see properly to preen herself. She is still eating and drinking and moving around with enthusiasm. She is getting very matted under one of her wings. Im wondering if the tear drops and runny nose had matted upon her feathers when she was wiping her face. Would this be uncomfortable for her? Would it be a good idea to try to sponge it away? (though, the position it is in this is going to cause much aggravation to an already poorly chicken) Thanks!

I think you should try and very very gently wipe it away, without causing any distress. I'm glad she is getting better, and I hope she will continue to get well!

Thank you, me too! Ive just been having a read online about bathing a chicken... Do you have any experience with that? The lady in the video thoroughly drenched her chicken to then blow dry her (which they apparently enjoy). My first reaction to that is that chickens hate getting wet and it would be a horrific and possibly counter-productive experience?

Back
Top Bottom