Chicken with Penguin Walk

Jessichick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
So, for over a week now, my RIR hen has been walking with a penguin walk. I thought maybe she was egg bound, so we've been doing warm soaks once or twice a day and oral calcium. I even squirted some lube in her vent once.
She seems in good spirits. Still eating, but she's having more and more trouble getting around. Cant' roost. Trouble going up and down the ramp to the coop. A couple of nights we've even kept her in a cage inside the house to stay warm and calm.
Any ideas? If she was egg bound wouldn't she have died by now? I can't feel anything that feels like an egg when I massage her abdomen or around her vent.

She possibly may be an internal layer or have egg yolk peritonitis. They can also walk like a penguin, and tend to sit a lot. The outcome of those hens is not good usually. You can check inside her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg.

Thanks. I have checked inside her vent for an egg. Felt nothing..shes always had difficulty laying. Weird shaped eggs and shell-less eggs sometimes. I hope she is not suffering.

Cam you feel anything floating in her belly?
So, for over a week now, my RIR hen has been walking with a penguin walk. I thought maybe she was egg bound, so we've been doing warm soaks once or twice a day and oral calcium. I even squirted some lube in her vent once.
She seems in good spirits. Still eating, but she's having more and more trouble getting around. Cant' roost. Trouble going up and down the ramp to the coop. A couple of nights we've even kept her in a cage inside the house to stay warm and calm.
Any ideas? If she was egg bound wouldn't she have died by now? I can't feel anything that feels like an egg when I massage her abdomen or around her vent.
No, that is a forum misinformation. They can live for many months with a stuck egg as long as they can still poop. Is her belly full of fluid?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom