Chicken with poopy butt.

ProChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Australia
So one of my green egg layer chickens has hemp stuck to the back of it. I think it's because when she poops running poo, and then she goes into the nesting box it gets stuck to her. It doesn't seem like it's affecting her or anything. Should I do anything to help like wash the back end of her or would it be alright to stay on her?

Definitely do something. If the butt gets clogged it can actually kill the chickens if left untreated for a while. Chicks get it all the time, its called pasty butt. Just take a napkin soaked in warm water and massage the crust with the warm moist towel until its soft enough to pry off. Make sure its soft before prying, as it hurts the chicken and can tear the skin. probably not a good idea to get a cut when you have literal poop in that area. Definitely figure out the cause of the runny stool. Not normal for older chickens. Hope this helps!

Definitely do something. If the butt gets clogged it can actually kill the chickens if left untreated for a while. Chicks get it all the time, its called pasty butt. Just take a napkin soaked in warm water and massage the crust with the warm moist towel until its soft enough to pry off. Make sure its soft before prying, as it hurts the chicken and can tear the skin. probably not a good idea to get a cut when you have literal poop in that area. Definitely figure out the cause of the runny stool. Not normal for older chickens. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I gave her a warm bath the poo is gone.

Back
Top Bottom