Chicken with Sour Crop doing well but not really pooping

Map2thestars

Hatching
Feb 16, 2022
I've got a chicken who was shaking yellow liquid from her beak (I'm a new chicken mom since Jult and didn't know about checking crops) as soon as I saw this I turned to BYC and found the full article on taking care of sour crop. I vomited her, she has continued to eat and drink normally (currently have her on damp food and mashed yolk) and she even laid today. No more yellow liquid either. BUT, I've not seen very much poop at all and what I have seen is smushy not black and white. Is this normal for sour crop due to the slow digestion? I've started monistat 2% 1 cc as well this evening, since I did just find that information. She seems to be her normal person self aside from the pooping 💩 just looking to get some advice as she's not egg blind, we just treated for worms (used safeguard goat dewormer at 1/ cc five days in a row) I did not see any worms come out, so maybe I've taken the wrong directions on that. Any advice welcome please!

Here's another article, written by moi, on crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ It might have additional information you may find useful.

It never hurts to worm a chicken when you have one that's under the weather. You can worm in tandem with most other treatments, so no worries. A chicken may have worms and you may never see a single worm, before or after you worm, as most worms get absorbed like food in the intestines. (Protein bonus)

How old is this hen and is she currently laying? Sometimes, an egg gets hung up in the oviduct and this can form a blockage that can slow down crop function and interfere with pooping. If your hen is laying, this would be a possibility, so give her one calcium tablet right now, directly in her beak, whole. She will swallow no problem, even though you might choke on the pill. Your hen won't. This is the best type of calcium to give, but a Tums will work for now until you can buy some.

Lastly, what is your city, state and country. This is information we can get many clues from that can help us diagnose what might be wrong with your chicken.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Wow, didn't know the worms could get absorbed in the intestines like that! Were in Houston, Texas. She is keying, she laid the prettiest bright blue egg for me this afternoon. I can go ahead and get calcium tablets like that tonight, does it help the crop?

A bottle of calcium tablets is a must item in chicken first aid kits. Given at the first sign of a laying problem, it can help get a stubborn egg out before it causes a lot of problems. No, calcium won't directly affect her crop.

Since she laid today, this may not be why she has a slow crop, but if she has worms, they can also form a blockage. Go ahead and worm and lets see if that improves her condition.

Give us an update in the morning, and we'll see where we go from there.

Thank you so much! Do I worm how I did before? With the safe guard goat dewormer ( I was told 1/2 cc once a day for five days) or should I do something different?

Here is a morning update! Can sour or slow crop turn to doughy crop?
I went to vomit her this morning (per instructions) and not a thing would come out although I can feel her crop is lemon sized. But instead of feeling like a water balloon, it's now a small squishy/doughy ball. Can this happen from sour or slow to doughy? If so, now what??
Ruth (said chicken) is as noisy as ever and mad she cannot leave her quarantine cage. She is eating, drinking and laying and her droppings are now back to normal as well. So all seems well or possibly even better except for this small hard ball on her crop. 🙁

I posted the other day about my chicken having sour crop. I followed all directions here and she was doing well and it had cleared up but on the 3rd morning when I checked she had a hard ball in her crop. Really hard and regarding the last post and lack of poops I instantly thought impacted. So I followed the instructions for impacted (regular dulcolax 2x a day in baby food and massage the crop) and noticed more poops, but she's stopped laying and shes now been shaking her head again everytime she eats or drinks and is showing less interest in eating and drinking. I have no idea which one this is or how to proceed and we're on day 6. I'm afraid even though she's lively if I don't help her correctly she will needlessly die.

How many days have you treated with miconazole? Have you done it at least twice a day? Have you introduced any oil to soften what remains in the crop?

It's common for a residual lump to persist in the crop after treating sour crop. It usually disappears after a few more days unless there's a more serious underlying issue such as a tumor blockage.

If the crop seems not to be emptying, there could be a blocked gizzard. It may need a flush with Epsom salts, but see how the lump responds to oil and massage.

I have not treated with miconazole yet, when I treated for sour crop I just followed the directions here, emptying the crop in 2 second intervals and gave damp food. She was doing great but by day 3 the crop was no longer full but had a hard ball, I will try coconut oil instead of the dulcolax. Everything besides the ball is emptying.

Any idea why everytime she tried to eat she holds her head up like she's drinking and then shakes her head? I'm terrified when I was giving the dulcolax even though I kept he head level and went slowly that she aspirated unless that's caused by the impacted crop. I'm just not sure.
I'm going to take up all food and administer the coconut oil.

Back
Top Bottom