Chicken with swollen hock

Phwaah

Chirping
Sep 22, 2020
Australia
Hi my 20 week hen(australop) who laid her first egg this week has a swollen and hot hock. She was limping around last 2 days and today has just given up and only sits in her coop. I've placed her next to the food and water but she doesn't seem interest and often I catch her closing her eyes. Their diet is layer pellets and daily table scraps.

Unfortunately we are still in lockdown here (melb, Australia) so I am currently unable to buy a coop to separate her from the flock. Hoping there is some over the counter anti inflammation medicine that I can give her to ease her pain. Thanks!

Edit: added images of foot since I suspected bumblefoot but it doesn't seem to be swollen

Attachments

• 20211017_110905.jpg
    20211017_110905.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211017_110908.jpg
    20211017_110908.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just want to update what happened.

2 days ago limping hen.

Yesterday same limp but seemed to be walking better.

This morning she did not get out of the coop at dawn. I moved her outside next to the feed and water. She didn't move at all or even eat. Went to my parents to take an old rabbit pen as a makeshift hospital. It's about 3.30pm, I go to put her inside and as soon as I did, she has a slight fit and dies. Rip.

No idea the cause of death, whatever it may be it seems to be quite aggressive. If anyone has any insight or opinions I'd love to hear it.

So sorry for your loss. Is there any vet or poultry college who could perform a necropsy to look for a cause of death or test her for Mareks disease? Did either leg seem paralyzed?

Back
Top Bottom