Chicken with tilted head

Garjzla

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Oregon
My chicken is tilting her head up and panting. She seems to be eating and drinking just fine, and when anything is going on she's very alert, but I'm still really worried.

The panting isn't constant, but whenever she's relaxing it happens. And it's not hot. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Can you post a video of her actions?

How old is she?
If she is of laying age, when was the last time she laid an egg and how does her abdomen feel?
Has she been wormed?
Is she lethargic, will she move around normally or is she sitting/laying down most of the day?

It's really hard to determine what can be wrong sometimes. Start with providing poultry vitamins in her water or if you have Nutri-Drench give her a direct dose of 1ml per every 3 pounds.

Can you post a video of her actions?

How old is she?
If she is of laying age, when was the last time she laid an egg and how does her abdomen feel?
Has she been wormed?
Is she lethargic, will she move around normally or is she sitting/laying down most of the day?

It's really hard to determine what can be wrong sometimes. Start with providing poultry vitamins in her water or if you have Nutri-Drench give her a direct dose of 1ml per every 3 pounds.

I can't, unfortunately. Her only odd actions are the tilting head and panting, that's the only way I can describe it.

She is around two years, still of laying age, but for the three days I've kept her inside she hasn't laid. She is a pekin bantam though, which aren't known for their laying.
Her abdomen feels normal, and she is also digesting normally (just thought I'd add that).
She hasn't been wormed for a while, I'm actually planning on doing it tomorrow. Though, she doesn't seem to eat a lot. She eats as much as any normal chicken would.

She is usually not moving, and either standing in the same place or laying down. She does get up often though, to eat and drink and scratch around.

Also, she seems to be really sleepy rather often. If she's not eating, drinking, or scratching, she's usually just standing in the corner and closing her eyes.

I feel that she may possibly just be hot. Her wings are out, and she's not stressed. Pekin bantams have very thick plumage, possibly it's nothing to worry about? Better safe than sorry, though. I'm thinking of taking her to a vet.

My chicken is tilting her head up and panting. She seems to be eating and drinking just fine, and when anything is going on she's very alert, but I'm still really worried.

The panting isn't constant, but whenever she's relaxing it happens. And it's not hot. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

I was just wondering if your hen got better and if you found out what it was as my hen is lethargic, not really eating much and tilting her head up all the time. What treatment did you give her?

Back
Top Bottom