Chicken won't leave nesting box

Thelonious

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
I've had chickens for about 1.5 years now. They are always on schedule with the eggs. But today, one of them would not get out of the nesting box. I checked after work (5pm) and then each hour after. It is now 8:30 and I just had to take her out to get the eggs. She was NOT happy. She flew at me and tried to attack then I had to chase her around the yard. I probably shouldn't have taken her out, but I needed those eggs. Why would she have stayed in there for so long? We have had a stray rooster that I plan on catching and taking elsewhere because we don't want fertilized eggs. Can the rooster be causing stress or possibly fertilize through chicken wire (I do not let them out of the coop because I'm in a neighborhood)? I wouldn't think so, but I'm a noob.

Last edited:
I did another search...broody? The only reason I posted in the predator section is because I consider the rooster a threat..disturbing my chickens (and waking our children up earlier than necessary).

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like she's broody to me. A hen will get broody whether her eggs are fertilized or not. Do a search and find out how to break her broodiness. I like to have broodies, so I have no idea how to tell you how it's done.

Yea she is broody. I have a hen just like yours and she won't stop sitting. So I just took her eggs away from her and let her free range. She hasn't gone back to her nest. She will only go back if there are eggs in her nest.

You could give her fertile eggs and just let her set. They are the best incubators and mothers ( most setting breeds are). I think there is nothing quite as beautiful as baby chicks running around with their mama hen.

Aww shes just broody. You could put a easter egg (the plastic kind filled during Easter) under her and she will feel happy. That is if you dont want her to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom