chicken

ederob

Songster
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Hello! My basset hound, Ellie May got one of my Brown Sex-Link chickens to day and It lost a bunch of feathers and was bleeding a little. I got the chicken and set her in a box full of hay. She does not want to move a bunch and wont't keep her eyes open very long. Is there anything else I can do to help her? Thanks!!!

Hi, our dog who is a beagle basset sheltie mix got one of our hens, Sam. She had puncture wounds and was bleeding a little bit. We put her in a dog crate in our house and put shavings in it. She would close her eyes a lot too. She might just be tired from the stress of being chased by Ellie May. Our chicken,Sam, was so stressed she even layed a shelless egg! We thought Sam would not make it because she was not eating or drinking...but we were wrong. She got better in about four days. If she is not drinking, dip your finger in water and put the drop on her beak. It should run down her beak to the tip. Then, she will probably smack her beak and drink it. If she is not eating, try feeding her scraps. Sam loved carrot peelings and tiny tomatoes. Or you can try crunching up her food. I hope it helps!

Chickens that have had an animal attack them can go into shock. They seem very tired, don't want to move, sleepy eyes, won't eat or drink. Keep them in a quiet place with food and water nearby. Usually they perk up (if they were not hurt) within 3 or 4 days.

Tammie

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry about your chicken. I had something get hold of one of my Bantams about a couple of months ago, and my rooster died trying to save her. I still don't know what it was suspect a bobcat. She made it back to her nest but died in a couple of hours. I was so sad, and mad, but they just won't stay out of those woods. I don't know why because we have plenty of land with massive yard space, and trees, leaves, everything. Sorry for your loss.

Oh, and sorry about your bantams and your rooster and sorry about Sam!!! I know how ya'll felt

Back
Top Bottom