Chickens 101

We DON"T NEED a Chicken's Anonymous! We're all happy with our addiction! It's the rest of the world who has problems!
celebrate.gif
I think BYC is Chicken's Anonymous, we all support each other's addiction and we understand the "pain" of this addiction. Isn't that the point of a group? To get together and talk about our addiction and work through it to make it "all better" The founders of BYC have even found a cure of sorts, get more people so we can get more minds together to find a cure for the greater good of humanity. They just need to make more chickens
lau.gif

Killing moles and tarantulas. Wow, who needs the Army? Just stick chickens in Khaki. They already have their own ranks!

My chicken chased a wild cat that had caught a squirrel and pecked it till the squirrel got away safely. When you have coffee outside with your chickens in the morning you don't miss anything

Was away for the week and my hubby had to take care of the whole family. I came back and found him sleeping in the bed with 2 kids and 3 chickens. That's when you know that you have the worlds greatest husband

OK first of all, I just got my first eggs yesterday, do I have to feed my hen more because she is laying or just the same amount?
Secondly, I heard a rumor that lake water has chemicals or bacteria harmful to chickens is this true?

Last edited:
OK first of all, I just got my first eggs yesterday, do I have to feed my hen more because she is laying or just the same amount?
Secondly, I heard a rumor that lake water has chemicals or bacteria harmful to chickens is this true?
I personally keep feed in front of my chickens at all times, so they eat as much or as little as they want. What are you feeding your birds? A commercial "egg layer" formula should satisfy most of your hen's nutritional needs. (I like Purina's Layena) Of course, bugs and meat scraps are a great supplement. You should give her some crushed oyster shells too.

Sorry to give you a complicated answer to your pretty simple question...

As for the lake water thing, I guess that would depend on the lake! I'm definitely not an authority on water quality, but a lot of birds drink lake water every day and seem to survive well enough *shrug*.

Feed a premium quality layer feed with additional calcium and that should do it. Keep feed available all the time so they can eat how much they want/need (especially since it is winter). Egg laying requires good, clean water too and plenty of it. Don't know about lake water. Mine are going through more water now that it is freezing out than in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom