1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dima guy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. dima guy

dima guy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2015
    Hello
    My chicken are acting scared and stay at coop most of the time ...picking each other
    They use to run to me when i open my kitchen door eat while i am observing ...for two days i have to walk inside thier coop for them to get out and as soon as i leave they go back to their coop..is it a sign. Of sickness or they scared of something or changing weather...i am worry about them please help

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there - something has got them scared...do you have aerial predators around? I always know when there's a hawk nearby - they all disappear into the barn! Check your perimeters - snakes under the coop?, weasels, foxes? neighborhood cat/dog?
    Once you have checked for problems, it's going to take some coaxing to get them back out..mealworms/treats about a foot from the doorway, extend the space daily until they are comfortably outside, good luck! [​IMG]

3. dima guy

Oct 25, 2015
    Thanks dear to reply...the coop is secure and my farm has a high wall...i think my husband scared them when he pass by the run with a big plastic cover that made noise ...this morning i called my daughter who has big experience in chicken she cheked them good and told me they will be fine ...no sickness they scared

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I have had hawks harass my flock for the past 2 weeks or so and they are at their wits-end! Any tiny little cause of concern and they act like its the end of the world - frustrating, but nothing a catapult won't fix regarding the hawk (beautiful birds, but just wish they'd find lunch elsewhere!)

CT

5. dima guy

Oct 25, 2015
    This morning my lady finally lay a nice egg after three days stopping ..they are fine eating and playing even with a big thunder storm and heavy rain....they look so funny under the rain

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Good news - yeah, they look like drowned rats eh?

7. dima guy

Oct 25, 2015
    Yes...wet to bone .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by