Chickens and Compost

I put the things I don't want the birds to eat like avocado and onion deep in my compost with the things like apple peels and lettuce trimmings on the top of the pile. Next day I turn it all in after they have had fun getting what they want from it. So the deepest part of the compost is bad stuff but the top layers are all safe. With the middle layer being their poop. I have yet to see them dig deep enough to get at the bottom layer. I have a long compost pile and just work from one end to the other so I don't turn up the bottom before the worms have a chance to break it down.

I have a passive compost "tower" made of plastic resin, so the flock can't get into compost. But there is so little I put in there, now, other than their old litter every now and then, like twice a year.

I already knew the chickens would get into anything not "secure.". Luckily, it's also secure against curious and meddling geese. Lordy but those geese can take just about anything apart!

I have a large compost pit that my birds tend to hang out in when free ranging along with a smaller compost pile in their run. I throw anything compostable into the compost piles including garlic, egg shells, onions, citrus, and other things thats not recommended to feed to hens. I've never had a problem with it as they seem to know by themselves what they can and cant eat. The only thing I try to avoid letting them have access to in the compost is moldy feed as that they will try to eat. Other than that they know on their own whats good and not good for them.

I have a compost bin made of pallets screwed together. My hens still insist on jumping over to get in the pile. I don't think I have anything bad in there except I don't want them eating the eggshells…. Is it OK? I mean I don't want them to learn to like the taste of eggshells or anything, but I'm having a hard time keeping them out of it.

DO I need to remove the chicken poop from the pine shavings before I compost the poop? Not sure if the pine bedding will break down in the compost heap...?

Quote:
I don't want them eating the eggshells…. Is it OK?

Eggshells can be a good source of calcium for them, just make sure you crush them up some so they don't associate the tasty shells with a fresh laid egg and you should be okay. :)
DO I need to remove the chicken poop from the pine shavings before I compost the poop? Not sure if the pine bedding will break down in the compost heap...?

Pine shavings are perfectly fine for compost, they will take longer than poop to break down, though. I find it best to have two compost heaps, one I am actively adding to, and one that is being turned and aging.

What do you do with your compostable goods that are not chicken safe?

I have been throwing all my egg shells, (the ones I don't dry and crush, anyway,) onion and garlic skins / ends, potato peels, dried beans, and coffee grounds into a separate bin, a large cat litter lidded plastic container.

I put every one of the things you listed (eggshells, onions, potato peels, coffee grounds, etc.) directly on the floor of my coop, which doubles as my compost pile. I've never had any problems with the chicken's health. Either they ignore these things or eating them hasn't hurt them one bit.

Quote:
We have 2 old bathtubs set up with worm farms, and love it! We live in Oregon, so it rains constantly. We leave the old drain hole (with mesh over it) open all the time with a 5 gal. bucket under it...constant compost tea! The items you mentioned would absolutely work for it. Even our junk mail (minus the little plastic windows) goes in there.

And onto my question. We switched to using chicken layer crumbles for our cat litter a couple months ago. We wanted something compostable, and cost effective. It works great! So my original intention was to compost it in the Humanure style, aka really hot compost that kills all the bad stuff. But I got to thinking...our chickens when free ranging, go through poop all the time. Dog poop, cat poop, cow poop, horse poop, pretty much any poop they find to get at the goodies within. In addition they have free access to the compost pile. They take what they want and leave what they dont. They have never gotten sick, knock on wood. Why cant I put the "litter" out there for them to go through? Are there parasites specific to cats that would transfer? Other than the Ick Factor, I cant think of anything else that that is a reason not to do this. Please correct me if I'm off base!

Last edited:
There are diseases in the cat feces that are supposed to thrive in the compost instead of being killed. I would do a google search on composting cat waste. I remember reading the article where the college folks were testing temps and bacteria, but can't promise I will find both it and this thread again in any useful speed.

Back
Top Bottom