Chickens and Depression

Berniejane

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Hi all. I am 66 yrs. old and have had major depression all my life. This last spring I made a last ditch effort to do something. I'd always wished I had grown up on a farm. Instead I had 13 siblings! Anyway, I decided to get some baby chicks. I worked with a neighbor/handyman to fashion a coop out of scavenged wood, used the stimulus money to purchase the hardware cloth and other materials and got my babies on May 29th.

I have been soooo happy! My husband amazed me by not objecting to it. Remember that song by Hall and Oates "You're makin' my dreams come true"? That is the mantra that went through my mind at the way the Universe went my way and continues to guide me. Caring for my babies, learning everything I can to raise them responsibly, ethically and having fun doing it has changed my life!

Forums like this one and the Minnesota Backyard Chicken Group on FB have been a godsend. Sometimes in my free time I just watch youtube videos on what other people are doing. I have learned so much!

Okay, so here's what I have: One each of Black Austrolorp, Specked Sussex, Isa Brown, Rhode Island Red. Two Midnight Maran (feathered feet!) and two Easter Eggers--one reddish brown with a gorgeous reddish hood and one blue-ish grey. They have the puffy cheeks!

All I can say is I never expected my life to turn upwards at this late stage in the game. I have not been depressed since before the pandemic started. Each new stage in their growth has presented new challenges, required further research and given me a sense of purpose I take very seriously. Bonus: my husband and I have never gotten along so well! It hasn't been easy for him, living with me. But he sees the joy the birds give me and helps me daily to achieve the best flock possible.

My next project? A cattle panel greenhouse so they have a warm place to peck around in the winter!

Thanks for "listening."

Bernie in Minneapolis, MN

Hello, Bernie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
What a wonderful story! Chickens are amazing creatures. They bring a lot of joy to many. They help me cope with the day to day stresses in my life as well. I'm so happy for you that you finally got your dream and it is such a wonderful experience for you. That was a great way to spend the stimulus check.

Hello, Bernie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
What a wonderful story! Chickens are amazing creatures. They bring a lot of joy to many. They help me cope with the day to day stresses in my life as well. I'm so happy for you that you finally got your dream and it is such a wonderful experience for you. That was a great way to spend the stimulus check.
Right? When things get rough I just sit on the swing in the back yard and watch my birds!

Hi all. I am 66 yrs. old and have had major depression all my life. This last spring I made a last ditch effort to do something. I'd always wished I had grown up on a farm. Instead I had 13 siblings! Anyway, I decided to get some baby chicks. I worked with a neighbor/handyman to fashion a coop out of scavenged wood, used the stimulus money to purchase the hardware cloth and other materials and got my babies on May 29th.

I have been soooo happy! My husband amazed me by not objecting to it. Remember that song by Hall and Oates "You're makin' my dreams come true"? That is the mantra that went through my mind at the way the Universe went my way and continues to guide me. Caring for my babies, learning everything I can to raise them responsibly, ethically and having fun doing it has changed my life!

Forums like this one and the Minnesota Backyard Chicken Group on FB have been a godsend. Sometimes in my free time I just watch youtube videos on what other people are doing. I have learned so much!

Okay, so here's what I have: One each of Black Austrolorp, Specked Sussex, Isa Brown, Rhode Island Red. Two Midnight Maran (feathered feet!) and two Easter Eggers--one reddish brown with a gorgeous reddish hood and one blue-ish grey. They have the puffy cheeks!

All I can say is I never expected my life to turn upwards at this late stage in the game. I have not been depressed since before the pandemic started. Each new stage in their growth has presented new challenges, required further research and given me a sense of purpose I take very seriously. Bonus: my husband and I have never gotten along so well! It hasn't been easy for him, living with me. But he sees the joy the birds give me and helps me daily to achieve the best flock possible.

My next project? A cattle panel greenhouse so they have a warm place to peck around in the winter!

Thanks for "listening."

Bernie in Minneapolis, MN
This is wonderful. I am so happy you found this excellent hobby to lift your spirits. Raising creatures really is the best medicine.❤️

Yes, chickens are very comforting. I even have an emotional support rooster!
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom