Chickens and Emus?

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
can i have a pair of emus and about 5-8 chickens in the same enclosure and run?
idunno.gif

Chickens are SO much smaller the emus, I could see stomping occuring.....
I thought they needed different food than chickens?
Their space requirements would probably be vastly different too- I knew somebody who said she had them and she kept hers in a pasture by themselves.

If you raise the emu from babies with the grown chickens than you can. Emu are very territorial and anything added to their territory they do not recognize is a threat. When I add new chickens etc.. I always let them see them in a different pen for awhile. My emu run the yard with Seramas and all types of chickens ( although not baby chicks or cats) geese, ducks, horses, goats etc..

chickenzoo
01/01/2010 1:54 am If you raise the emu from babies with the grown chickens than you can. Emu are very territorial and anything added to their territory they do not recognize is a threat. When I add new chickens etc.. I always let them see them in a different pen for awhile. My emu run the yard with Seramas and all types of chickens ( although not baby chicks or cats) geese, ducks, horses, goats etc..

So ur' saying if I had a few pygmy goats in a run and hatch a few emu eggs and place them in the goat run it's not a good Idea as the emu get older they will hurt or even kill the pygmy goats

THANKS ALAN​

No, if the emu are raised around the goats they will be fine... just make sure your goats are not aggressive towards the emu and butt their legs. I wouldn't leave young emu unattended with goats as goats with horns could hurt them. What you don't want to do with any new animal is to put it right in the emu's area, straight away. You want to place it in an area that the emu can see it, but not get to it. One they know that animal belongs there, they are usually fine with it. They just have a problem with something "knew" added to their area as they will protect their area and animal family from the new intruder. Mine still will chase the cats though.......... they still see them as a threat.

7205_bugonyourbutt.jpg

The peafowl use to chase the emu when they were chicks, the emu are still bossed around by the peafowl because the emu remember that....

Back
Top Bottom