1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Homeowners insurance??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by crystal195655, Jun 15, 2012.

1. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

What does this mean???????

2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    That is crazy! Makes no sense at all!

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
  4. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Geico's advertising has a gecko (lizard); AFLAC has a duck or goose, I forget. I think that's the reference.

5. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I work as a personal assistant for 2 different insurance agents in Chattanooga. I can tell you that Shelter insurance,and State farm both have a farm policy. I have a donkey and 4 hens, I have home owners with a umbrella policy to cover any additional libility, home or auto.

6. kellypepperk

kellypepperk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    $27 / year increase because of the chickens!

7. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I went and asked four insurance companies in my area about having chickens in my backyard and they all said "livestock-can't cover you". Luckily I did find one provider in my area that was ok with me having my mini horses and chickens in my back yard.

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Did that actually happen to your friend, or did she pass along something that she heard on the internet?

9. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    x3

Thats why i had my whole flock tested ,just to have a back up plan.If i need more testing done i can get done. The State livestock vet is only about 15 miles from my house.

10. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    My insurance agent called to tell me that the insurance appraiser that came to my house noticed that I had more than 10 chickens. Because of this I have to have farm insurance and instead of $585 per year it will cost about $1250!! This is because my chickens are free range, I sell eggs, and I have about 75 chickens (30 newly hatched to replace some of the older birds that will become dinners for the upcoming months). They say if someone eats one of my eggs and gets sick I can be sued. I have done everything in my power to be truthful about everything I do. I keep track of the eggs I sell for income taxes, and there really is not very much profit to that because I sell eggs to help pay for feed, not to retire off from. I checked on laws and regulations and such for my state so that I am not breaking any laws. I think that this is such SUE HAPPY world where everyone is looking for free money and old fashioned honest people like me are becoming an endangered species.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by