Chickens and Homeowners insurance??

I work as a personal assistant for 2 different insurance agents in Chattanooga. I can tell you that Shelter insurance,and State farm both have a farm policy. I have a donkey and 4 hens, I have home owners with a umbrella policy to cover any additional libility, home or auto.

I went and asked four insurance companies in my area about having chickens in my backyard and they all said "livestock-can't cover you". Luckily I did find one provider in my area that was ok with me having my mini horses and chickens in my back yard.

Just thought I would share this info that I recieved from a friend of mine.....really gripes my behind

GOT CHICKENS? SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE! Today, Maggie shared her story about how her homeowners insurance was canceled due to her pet chickens. The insurance company was GEICO, and the underwriter that actually canceled the policy was ASI Underwriters. Maggie has had GEICO auto insurance for 26 years! She has had State Farm homeowners insurance for 19 years! She decided to bundle her homeowners policy with her auto policy. BIG MISTAKE! First it was because there was the "potential" of her selling eggs, and that was a risk. Now they tell her that chickens are farm animals and carry diseases. UGH!​
Did that actually happen to your friend, or did she pass along something that she heard on the internet?

x2 and what about if you are a health care worker, a teacher, a cop, or anyone who works with the general public? How about an insurance salesman? LOL!

Many city type of pets like cats and dogs can harbor diseases that can be transferred to people (zoonosis). Heck mosquitos get on people's property and cause disease. How do they know if the chickens are actually carrying a disease? They would have to test to see if that disease is present just like they would for cats, dogs, or people. It is ridiculous. Perhaps people should get their flock tested by the state and then sue them when they turn up negative. As for selling eggs, a lot of things could possibly be sold from ones home and be hazardous. They should have to prove you are selling eggs.
x3

Thats why i had my whole flock tested ,just to have a back up plan.If i need more testing done i can get done. The State livestock vet is only about 15 miles from my house.

My insurance agent called to tell me that the insurance appraiser that came to my house noticed that I had more than 10 chickens. Because of this I have to have farm insurance and instead of $585 per year it will cost about $1250!! This is because my chickens are free range, I sell eggs, and I have about 75 chickens (30 newly hatched to replace some of the older birds that will become dinners for the upcoming months). They say if someone eats one of my eggs and gets sick I can be sued. I have done everything in my power to be truthful about everything I do. I keep track of the eggs I sell for income taxes, and there really is not very much profit to that because I sell eggs to help pay for feed, not to retire off from. I checked on laws and regulations and such for my state so that I am not breaking any laws. I think that this is such SUE HAPPY world where everyone is looking for free money and old fashioned honest people like me are becoming an endangered species.

Back
Top Bottom