Chickens and kitties

Jesseyinpink

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
I have 5 chicks that are about 5/6 weeks old and they are all getting their big girl feathers (the two Jersey Giants aren't as far along- which actually makes me think of another question...) and we have only one cat we let in the backyard. We let him out the other day and the chicks were in their box outside. He heard them cheeping, looked in the vicinity of the box, then walked right past it without a care in the world. He's always been curious about other animals but would never hurt any of them. He's visited our gecko when the other cat pulled him out of his cage and just stared at him. When would it be good to intodruce Mickey to our girls? I would love to have them both roam the backyard at some point in the future without worrying about the chickens ganging up on him.

The second question I thought of- I've read not to put the chicks outside until they have their adult feathers. Logic would stand to reason that the Jersey Giants would need to stay in longer than the other 3. Is this so and if it is, would we have trouble reintrducing them later? Thanks!

If the chicks and the cat grow up together, there shouldn't be any problems between them. In fact, the chickens and the cat should protect each other when they're older. It is true that you shouldn't put chicks outside until they're fully feathered. There shouldn't be any problem introducing your Jersey Giants later on.

My cats lay on my chiclets cage like its a piece of furniture. Doesn't phase them there is 5 11-13 week old chickens that they can see. It's a lrg. Wire, fold &store for pets. This is the 3rd set of chicks and the cats don't mind them and all my girlsare not bothered by the cats or dogs:)

I have a cat that thinks he's a rooster. We got Ford about a year ago, when I found him in a closed cardboard box on the side of the road. He is constantly hanging out with the chickens. He never tries to "stalk" them or hiss at them. He is constantly trying to rub on them (like how cats rub against your legs). He scratches in their coop to cover up their poop. I think he is totally weird, but we have gotten used to it by now. When we had baby chicks hatch he contently laid by the brooder and kept an eye on them.

You can barely see the chicks in the background.

Some day when he's sleeping on their cage. Their going to take a bite out of his tail
wink.png

That's cute

Hows it going from way up north to way down under!!

Sorry, I meant to say Hi
frow.gif
to you! Do you have any pets? I can't wait for hubby to finish the avairy so the chic's and ducks can get out of the house!!!
Do you think he can hear these keys aclacking!!!
But it's not his fault he works.
Well take care and let us know what you have!

Back
Top Bottom