Chickens and Peafowl

TheSpeckledRoo

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Michigan
I have a flock of 14 chickens, my best friend has 4 peafowl (2 breeding pairs) and he needs to move. Would my chickens accept them eventually or would my peafowl kill my chickens? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many people keep peas and chickens together. I would think that if you could keep them separate but with in sight of each other for a few weeks or months, they should ignore each other after that. You will need to pen the peas for a while, anyway, to make sure they know that they are supposed to stay there (before you turn them out if you plan to let them free range.)

I would advise.you keep them in seperate pens. They do fine freeranging.....and sometimes.in big pens as peas need a lot of room but I always pen them seperatly as peas can catch Blackhead disease if any of your.chickens carry it. Peas can also be very bossy and if ticked off by another bird...they hold grudges. ...lol

Unfortunately I don't think i have the room for my friends peafowl. The peacock will not fit inside my girls coop very comfortably. I guess i could place them in a shed by the woods, but even then i would only be able to take one breeding pair. I am very thankful i researched this first. Thank you for commenting and telling me what you think. It looks like next year i have some expansion to do
big_smile.png
. Now i want peafowl haha.

Back
Top Bottom