Chickens and pigeons

ally68

Hatching
Jan 15, 2016
Hello group, i wondered if anyone could suggest a good, easy, hardy chicken to have in my coop, i only want 3 hens. I was thinking of rescuing chickens from the battery hen system?
I also have a pigeon loft above the chicken coop, can anyone suggest a smartish/hardy pigeon variety too?

thanks,

Ally.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Rescuing chickens is a wonderful way to go to give birds a second chance at life. If you go with hatchery birds, Orpingtons are quite hardy and great layers as well. These would include Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. Very friendly hardy breed.

As for Pigeons, you will need to stop by our Pigeon and Dove section to talk to the Pigeon experts!
wink.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/52/pigeons-and-doves

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

Hello group, i wondered if anyone could suggest a good, easy, hardy chicken to have in my coop, i only want 3 hens. I was thinking of rescuing chickens from the battery hen system?
I also have a pigeon loft above the chicken coop, can anyone suggest a smartish/hardy pigeon variety too?

thanks,

Ally.
Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I didn't know that there was a rescue thing for chickens but not surprised either. I would say Black Australorps. Amazing egg layers, docile, hardy, and very friendly. Here are pictures of my Australorp pullets and cockerel. My cockerel is very friendly too. As for pigeons I'm not as much of an expert compared to other poultry but I will tell you with some things I know. One of my friends raises West Of England Tumbler (looks kind of cool in my opinion), Arch Angel, Pouters, Fan tails. I didn't see any heat lamps and they seemed to be doing just fine in Idaho winter which is usually daily freezing temps.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I don't know much about pigeons (never had any), but I definitely concur with TwoCrows and Birdrain92 about Black Australorps which are an extremely hardy breed in both heat and cold. In addition they are excellent layers and typically calm and gentle birds (good lap pets). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi there and thank you for your message and information! I will have to learn more about chickens and pigeons i think! :)

I am in Scotland by the way, i may have joined the wrong site and the wrong country, does it matter?

Ally.

Hi there and thank you for your message and information! I will have to learn more about chickens and pigeons i think! :)

I am in Scotland by the way, i may have joined the wrong site and the wrong country, does it matter?

Ally.

Nope. We have members from all over the world. Just go in the search bar and type in Scotland. You'll get a thread from people in Scotland. You can ask about if anyone has pigeons there and make a new forum in the pigeon area asking your questions.

Ally.

You're welcome, Ally. You've joined the right site. BYC has lots of members in Scotland. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom