Chickens and poison ivy

Keep in mind that while Roundup has a very negative reputation, it isn't the same danger to chickens as insecticides. Roundup has long term cancer risks for humans, but chickens aren't that long lived they would be affected by any carcinogens in herbicides.

I've been using every sort of herbicide from 2-4D, which is the safest and has the shortest half life of them all, from two to twenty-eight days to be gone completely, to the most deadly herbicides, such as Tordon, which aren't sold to the general public that have half lives of several years. Roundup is right there in the bottom tier with 2-4D as far as half life (time it exists in the environment before its elements break down.)

Following the precautions in handling, you can feel safe using it, and it will not poison your chickens after it dries. You will not be saturating the soil with any herbicide, only the foliage. After it rains, the foliage will be safe for chickens to eat again, unless it's already dead.

There is a new herbicide called Landmaster that combines 2-4D and glyphosate (active ingredient in Roundup) reasonably priced and much cheaper than Roundup. I've been using the two herbicides together for 20 years and it's extremely effective for a fast kill, faster than either one used on its own.

Keep in mind that while Roundup has a very negative reputation, it isn't the same danger to chickens as insecticides. Roundup has long term cancer risks for humans, but chickens aren't that long lived they would be affected by any carcinogens in herbicides.

I've been using every sort of herbicide from 2-4D, which is the safest and has the shortest half life of them all, from two to twenty-eight days to be gone completely, to the most deadly herbicides, such as Tordon, which aren't sold to the general public that have half lives of several years. Roundup is right there in the bottom tier with 2-4D as far as half life (time it exists in the environment before its elements break down.)

Following the precautions in handling, you can feel safe using it, and it will not poison your chickens after it dries. You will not be saturating the soil with any herbicide, only the foliage. After it rains, the foliage will be safe for chickens to eat again, unless it's already dead.

There is a new herbicide called Landmaster that combines 2-4D and glyphosate (active ingredient in Roundup) reasonably priced and much cheaper than Roundup. I've been using the two herbicides together for 20 years and it's extremely effective for a fast kill, faster than either one used on its own.
Thank you! DH actually brought some Round Up home with him today, after getting poison ivy from the chickens. I have been reading, and it looks like it is most effective to spray only the leaves of the ivy plant, not a general spray in the area, which is good. Some of the poison ivy is right in front of the blackberry patch and a few of the blueberry bushes.

We have two sunny days the next few days, and then rain all weeke d and next week again, so looks like tomorrow would be a good day to do it.

All the research I am finding says that if used properly, as described with proper dosage, Round Up is fine to use around birds, but I would still use precautions and keep the chickens contained to the yard for a week or so. I would remove the dead poison ivy and the surrounding dirt from the area as well.

Back
Top Bottom