Chickens and shiny objects

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, it is pretty common, most birds seem to like shiny things, not sure why, wonder if it has something to do with some of their natural foods like beetles etc that they like to eat also being reflective and shiny. Earlier this year there was a thread where somebody's chick ate a really expensive diamond earing. Don't know how you would get them to stop, just be careful to keep stuff like jewelry out of their reach.

You really can't "stop" them - they are acting on instinct. If they get too insistent about my ring I just flip it around so the stone is on the inside - the band isn't nearly as interesting to them. For necklaces, just drop them inside your shirt.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will never get them to stop. I can't wear any jewelry around my chickens. They will yank earrings right out of my ears, rings off my fingers, ect... Their beaks are sharp so be careful. Watch your face too. They can go after your teeth when you smile or get too close and they can do damage to your lips!

Enjoy your flock, they are just curious and fun loving. :)

S a safeguard don't hold chicks or chickens up to your face unless you are wearing glasses or goggles.  Eyes are shiny and a very tempting target for beaks.  A great reason to  have goggles on kids and tell them NOT to hold birds up to their face.  It's not an aggressive act by chickens, it's just instinct and curiosity.  They don't have hands so they test everything by pecking at it.

Well, I can think of at least two eyeballs you probably just saved :/ ...Thanks drumstick diva!

Back
Top Bottom