Chickens and taxes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muddstopper, Jan 4, 2012.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I was just informed of a new law that just went into effect concerning the sale of Chickens, goats, and farm animals in general. It seems that as of Jan 1, if you sell any livestock through a sale barn, auction, or a swap meet, you will recieve a 1099 tax form for the full sale price of the animal(s), Ths would mean having to file the sale price as income and paying income tax on the sale amount. This doesnt allow you anything as far as the cost of aquireing, careing, or feeding the animals, or even the cost of transporting or sale fee's associated with the sale of the animal. Something is just plain wrong with this picture. I guess this is just more of the change we where promised in Washington. I would rather keep my change in my pocket instead of giving it to the incompetent crowd in Washington.

Sorry for my rant, I just had to vent a little.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well muddstopper..... It's not just Washington... Paypal will be issuing me a 1099 for the full price of eggs which we sold in 2011, with no accounting for our expenses, food, water, shelter, electricity, incubators, paypal feeds, etc....................rrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Doesn't seem right but it is what it is......... Presents a lot of issues doesn't it..... A lot of small businesses are going to tank this year...... It makes no sense from a perspective of profit and expenses..... Sorry to say it's nationwide...........

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm pretty sure that law was repealed before it ever started

4. muddstopper

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:Repealed or not, its posted in the auction barn paywindow.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I think I will stick with private sales.These taxes are crazy.

6. muddstopper

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:I read where there is some group wanting to tax cows for passing gas, and PETA is wanting to put a tax on meat because it will supposely stop people from eating it. What we need is to pass a law preventing lobbist from stepping foot inside Washington. All these laws and taxes do is slow down the economic recovery,(which I havent even started to see happen), and also run the small business person out of business.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:I read where there is some group wanting to tax cows for passing gas, and PETA is wanting to put a tax on meat because it will supposely stop people from eating it. What we need is to pass a law preventing lobbist from stepping foot inside Washington. All these laws and taxes do is slow down the economic recovery,(which I havent even started to see happen), and also run the small business person out of business.

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing until I'm crying and I really need it...... How are those cows going to pay for their gas????? I'm sorry...... I just have to say. I've eating too much chocolate this afternoon!!!!........[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing until I'm crying and I really need it...... How are those cows going to pay for their gas????? I'm sorry...... I just have to say. I've eating too much chocolate this afternoon!!!!........[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Maybe we could pay our taxes with chickens. [​IMG]
    I'd better get hatching. [​IMG]

10. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    If they start taxing gas...my husband is in trouble! [​IMG]