Chickens and Their Hilarious Personalities

Hanusaur

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
I just needed to share this story from today.
A week ago, I watched my smallest hen grab some green thing twice the size of her head and sprint away with it. I caught up with her in time to watch her literally swallow an adult praying mantis whole. It was still alive when she did it, and I was blown away she swallowed the thing as it was HUGE compared to her beak. When they’re determined to keep their prize away from the rest of the flock, I guess they can swallow just about anything!

Today, I saw the same thing happen. Except this time my hen Daisy grabbed a praying mantis and I was fast enough to snatch it from her. They’re rare insects, and I’d never even seen one in my yard, let alone TWO in the same week. So I figured perhaps they’re breeding in the wood pile or something. And I thought I’d give this one a chance at life. Well, my hen was pissed at me for stealing her delicious treat. I propped the insect up on the side of the run door to see if it was still okay and able to move around. If it was injured, I’d give it back to my hen who was sprinting circles around my legs. But it seemed fine, able to walk, and was doing that horribly creepy thing they do where it stares right at you with its arms up and its freaky mouth wide open. I should’ve snapped a picture, but my phone was in the house. Anyway, Daisy is vengeful at this point. She’s running around my feet like she’s trying to trip me, and staring right up at my face while she’s doing it. She saw an opportunity to get closer to the mantis by jumping up on our food storage bin. But she still couldn’t get to it, despite her efforts. She was out for blood though. As soon as I turned my back on her, she reeled up and bit me HARD directly on my butt cheek. She knew what she was doing 😂 She even left a mark lol. Made me yelp in surprise. And I turn around and she’s just staring at me expectantly. As if she was saying “hey give that back!”. She’s so bossy and determined to get what she wants. She cracks me up every day. I gave her some meal worms as compensation for my theft. And released the praying mantis in a nearby tree to give it a chance.
I just love how chickens all have individual personalities. Daisy is very unique amongst the other girls. She knows what she wants and will work hard for it! When I’m carrying food around, she weaves between my legs as if she’s trying to trip me. And she will jump up on anything to get closer to me and stare right at my face. I swear she’s sassy and she knows it. She has determination unlike any hen I’ve owned lol. She also loves to jump up on my lap and lay down for a nap every chance she gets. She’s both bossy and cuddly. I’ve got so many stories about her. I love her to pieces.

My question for the community is, do you have any hens that exhibit behaviors that set them apart from the rest? Perhaps that seem more intelligent than you’d expect a chicken to be? Or just any cute / funny personality traits? I love reading about other’s beloved birds. ❤️

I've had Cochin Bantams in my mixed flock for a few years, but I decided to get three full-sized Cochins this spring. Isabel, Ursula and Ophelia have been dubbed the "Twisted Sisters". (That's a reference to the very close friendship between Meredith and Christina on "Grey's Anatomy", not the rock band).

This little trio is sassy, chatty -- they have their own whistly language -- and totally fearless. I have to warn visitors who are considering sitting in one of the chairs on the deck that they will likely have a big, fluffy bird in their lap within seconds -- and for the uninitiated, that chickens are likely to poop while there.

All three girls love grapes and rarely want to wait for me to hand out treats; they'd rather jump up and peck at my hand. Honestly, they are a bit obnoxious, and I totally love them!

I've got 2 polish I accidentally trained to be aggressive little pullets. One even does that whole male jump and kick show when you move by her.

I've got Glenn, a bresse male, who's just..... well, he's a little special sometimes.

And then there are the sebrights- Honey, Love and Darling, who love people and will jump on their shoulders

Doodle and Smudge, my two Cornish X, has exhibited more hilarious moments than any other chicken I have ever owned. They're very food motivated, and when I come into their pen with breakfast, they actually jump into the air trying to get closer to it. 😂
Smudge also liked to try everything to break into the feed bins in the garage. The barrels are as tall as a garbage can. It was my mistake leaving the lid open while feeding everyone, assuming she wouldn't jump that high. We'll she got creative, and used the bench, and hand truck that was next to the barrel to scale it, and get inside. Than, she kicked the wood off the top of the feed bag that was holing it closed, and by the time I got back she was inside the bag. 🙄
Another time she spent her whole morning pecking an empty feed bag (that we used to hold our marshmallow roasting stick for camping). She crawled inside of it, and found nothing. Than just pecked the outside for far to long, hoping to break through the bag to get to goodies. Thats what she does if the food is sealed. Stands at the bag of Timothy pellets, and pecks it until it opens. 😂 All for measly Timothy pellets.
Chickens, they are to funny. 😌
RIP Smudge.

I've had Cochin Bantams in my mixed flock for a few years, but I decided to get three full-sized Cochins this spring. Isabel, Ursula and Ophelia have been dubbed the "Twisted Sisters". (That's a reference to the very close friendship between Meredith and Christina on "Grey's Anatomy", not the rock band).

This little trio is sassy, chatty -- they have their own whistly language -- and totally fearless. I have to warn visitors who are considering sitting in one of the chairs on the deck that they will likely have a big, fluffy bird in their lap within seconds -- and for the uninitiated, that chickens are likely to poop while there.

All three girls love grapes and rarely want to wait for me to hand out treats; they'd rather jump up and peck at my hand. Honestly, they are a bit obnoxious, and I totally love them!
Haha they sound adorable. My hen Daisy is somehow polite and has never pooped on my lap, even though she’s the one who sits on my lap the most. Can’t say the same for the other 3 😂

Doodle and Smudge, my two Cornish X, has exhibited more hilarious moments than any other chicken I have ever owned. They're very food motivated, and when I come into their pen with breakfast, they actually jump into the air trying to get closer to it. 😂
Smudge also liked to try everything to break into the feed bins in the garage. The barrels are as tall as a garbage can. It was my mistake leaving the lid open while feeding everyone, assuming she wouldn't jump that high. We'll she got creative, and used the bench, and hand truck that was next to the barrel to scale it, and get inside. Than, she kicked the wood off the top of the feed bag that was holing it closed, and by the time I got back she was inside the bag. 🙄
Another time she spent her whole morning pecking an empty feed bag (that we used to hold our marshmallow roasting stick for camping). She crawled inside of it, and found nothing. Than just pecked the outside for far to long, hoping to break through the bag to get to goodies. Thats what she does if the food is sealed. Stands at the bag of Timothy pellets, and pecks it until it opens. 😂 All for measly Timothy pellets.
Chickens, they are to funny. 😌
RIP Smudge.
I love their names ❤️😂 my girls are obsessed with bags, empty ones too for some reason. My smallest hen, Tiny, has an obsession with anything plastic. She will just make happy sounds and scratch on any empty bag left on the ground until someone takes it from her. If left long enough, she will just decide to sit on it. She does the same thing with towels. Silly chickie, I could just sit and watch her do weird things all day. Very entertaining lol.

I've got 2 polish I accidentally trained to be aggressive little pullets. One even does that whole male jump and kick show when you move by her.

I've got Glenn, a bresse male, who's just..... well, he's a little special sometimes.

And then there are the sebrights- Honey, Love and Darling, who love people and will jump on their shoulders
I can’t bend down around Daisy, or I’ll end up with a chicken on my back. And after she does it, the rest follow and then I’ve gotta figure out how to get 4 hens off my back lol. As far as aggression goes, my Polish hen is fearless. I love that about her. She puts herself between the rest of the flock and any perceived threat. Half the time the perceived threat is our elderly tortoise that can’t move faster than 1mph, but in her eyes she’s sacrificing her safety for her sisters lol 😂❤️

I love their names ❤️😂 my girls are obsessed with bags, empty ones too for some reason. My smallest hen, Tiny, has an obsession with anything plastic. She will just make happy sounds and scratch on any empty bag left on the ground until someone takes it from her. If left long enough, she will just decide to sit on it. She does the same thing with towels. Silly chickie, I could just sit and watch her do weird things all day. Very entertaining lol.
Oh my goodness! This is so adorable!

What a great thread! YES! My hens all have unique personalities. Sunshine wants to get underneath everyone and cuddle. The Buckeyes used to chase the dog. Sone are bossy and assertive. Some are timid. Some are affectionate. Some are standoffish.
Haha, yes! My husband never had chickens before I introduced him to them. I told him about how they are smarter than most people realize & have different personalities, but he didn’t fully understand what I meant until he helped me raise our current flock. No one will truly understand how diverse chicken behavior can be until they’ve spent a lot of time with them. It’s such a gift to watch them grow and develop their cute little personalities ☺️

Back
Top Bottom