Chickens and Their Hilarious Personalities

IKR?! My horses are so tolersnt of my flock....my poor mare reached out to sniff my hen, and poor Mango thought she was being attacked with that giant nose in her face, and grabbed ahold of of the tender velvety skin on her nose. Ebony jerked back and snorted so loud. She hasn't sniffed a chicken again lol. My hen Mango figured out that when its snowy outside that people's boots are much warmer than the ground. She is also very photogenic. She loves to hang around people since she is out casted from the rest of the flock :(
View attachment 2935077View attachment 2935078View attachment 2935079 Spying on me scooping horse grain

View attachment 2935058 Trying to take a selfie with my new chicks I got in April....found out I had an attention hogger!
View attachment 2935062 The cayuga Gus Gus was comforting Margaret the pekin.
I love the picture of her standing on your boot. Chickens are certainly opportunistic & pretty good at problem solving 😂 cold feet? Stand on mom’s boot.

I've got 2 polish I accidentally trained to be aggressive little pullets. One even does that whole male jump and kick show when you move by her.

I've got Glenn, a bresse male, who's just..... well, he's a little special sometimes.

And then there are the sebrights- Honey, Love and Darling, who love people and will jump on their shoulders
Yes same with me! I accidentally trained my duck to be somewhat aggressive. I was in the run picking up his girl (our girl duck) and once I did that he charged and snapped at me and bit my boot 😬. Then not to long after that he charged my dog 🐕😂 and bit her

I just needed to share this story from today.
A week ago, I watched my smallest hen grab some green thing twice the size of her head and sprint away with it. I caught up with her in time to watch her literally swallow an adult praying mantis whole. It was still alive when she did it, and I was blown away she swallowed the thing as it was HUGE compared to her beak. When they’re determined to keep their prize away from the rest of the flock, I guess they can swallow just about anything!

Today, I saw the same thing happen. Except this time my hen Daisy grabbed a praying mantis and I was fast enough to snatch it from her. They’re rare insects, and I’d never even seen one in my yard, let alone TWO in the same week. So I figured perhaps they’re breeding in the wood pile or something. And I thought I’d give this one a chance at life. Well, my hen was pissed at me for stealing her delicious treat. I propped the insect up on the side of the run door to see if it was still okay and able to move around. If it was injured, I’d give it back to my hen who was sprinting circles around my legs. But it seemed fine, able to walk, and was doing that horribly creepy thing they do where it stares right at you with its arms up and its freaky mouth wide open. I should’ve snapped a picture, but my phone was in the house. Anyway, Daisy is vengeful at this point. She’s running around my feet like she’s trying to trip me, and staring right up at my face while she’s doing it. She saw an opportunity to get closer to the mantis by jumping up on our food storage bin. But she still couldn’t get to it, despite her efforts. She was out for blood though. As soon as I turned my back on her, she reeled up and bit me HARD directly on my butt cheek. She knew what she was doing 😂 She even left a mark lol. Made me yelp in surprise. And I turn around and she’s just staring at me expectantly. As if she was saying “hey give that back!”. She’s so bossy and determined to get what she wants. She cracks me up every day. I gave her some meal worms as compensation for my theft. And released the praying mantis in a nearby tree to give it a chance.
I just love how chickens all have individual personalities. Daisy is very unique amongst the other girls. She knows what she wants and will work hard for it! When I’m carrying food around, she weaves between my legs as if she’s trying to trip me. And she will jump up on anything to get closer to me and stare right at my face. I swear she’s sassy and she knows it. She has determination unlike any hen I’ve owned lol. She also loves to jump up on my lap and lay down for a nap every chance she gets. She’s both bossy and cuddly. I’ve got so many stories about her. I love her to pieces.

My question for the community is, do you have any hens that exhibit behaviors that set them apart from the rest? Perhaps that seem more intelligent than you’d expect a chicken to be? Or just any cute / funny personality traits? I love reading about other’s beloved birds. ❤️
We once taught our 3 Rhode island reds to catch treats mid-air 😂😂😂 I've tried with others since then as well, but it only worked with them.

I love their names ❤️😂 my girls are obsessed with bags, empty ones too for some reason. My smallest hen, Tiny, has an obsession with anything plastic. She will just make happy sounds and scratch on any empty bag left on the ground until someone takes it from her. If left long enough, she will just decide to sit on it. She does the same thing with towels. Silly chickie, I could just sit and watch her do weird things all day. Very entertaining lol.
My silkie Cochin cross loves plastic shavings bags also, and has decided they r great places to lay an egg. I have to check he special spot frequently for eggs during the day or they freeze. What a brat! she won't lay in the nest boxes !

My "girls" are not hens yet, but very clearly already establishing their personalities and spots on our small homestead. We have Harriet Houdini (Barred Rock) who tries everything first. She is brave and sassy. We have Flo (Barred Rock) who loves to be picked up, as long as her legs are dangling. And she sings a beautiful little song to you as you pet her. She is very much Go with the Flow. Then we have the "Mean Girls" (Light Brahmas) who love to cause trouble by chest bumping the other chicks, cannon ball into the middle of a pile of sleeping girls, and they steal anything they can from the others. Then we have Roo, who is tiny.... timid... and better get his stuff together soon!! Because these girls are going to definitely give him a run for his money!! We also have Hattie (Light Brahma) who I really think will be our first broody girl! She normally will go off to the side and lay down, alone... stretched out, and comfy. And within seconds, she attracts a heap of fuzzy friends who love to cuddle with her. The other 5 are establishing their spots slowly but still have no names. Time will tell.....

Attachments

• 274946910_767496690889401_7405029779076020406_n.jpg
    274946910_767496690889401_7405029779076020406_n.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 275635454_302048415199259_7734962389341396768_n.jpg
    275635454_302048415199259_7734962389341396768_n.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 277339033_924639654888887_2475232154496931456_n.jpg
    277339033_924639654888887_2475232154496931456_n.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 277359588_364962418887779_349208421259882214_n.jpg
    277359588_364962418887779_349208421259882214_n.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 4
My girls are 6 weeks old...almost 7 but there are three that have really shown off their personalities already. Chippy is a black and gold Ameracuna and is who I think will end up being the leader of the group. She's very smart, always finds the treats and will check out everything and everyone new. She likes my husband alot and when we visit the coop likes to sit on his boot. Dot (cream legbar )was a goober as a chick and still is...he's our cockerel...has a sweet personality so far but likes to sleep in the grass on almost his back with his wing all spread out. My guess is that living with all the girls is exhausting. He's also already an impressive bug catcher and loves Japanese beatles(woot!). Then there's Henny... she's the bottom of the pecking order at the moment..I think it will change as they at still very young. She's a Rhode island red and suuuuuper friendly which may be from the week she spent in the "medical ward" (garage) due to a couple whitings pulling out her tail feathers.... she's better now and loves to hop up on shoulders or rest on boots. Henny pic
20220626_072133.jpg

Back
Top Bottom