Chickens and turkeys?

I sent some chickens to a neighbor a mile down the road years ago. My soil is dry and sandy, hers clay and a pond. She had peafowl, who also will die of blackhead.
One of her new chickens died, then half of her flock of peafowl, before she had anyone necropsied. Blackhead was the problem, so everyone got treated, and she confined her surviving peafowl away from the damp soil. No more deaths, but a very sad story.

Blackhead is caused by a protozoan parasite that lives in cecal worms. Birds can pick them up foraging on the ground, or spread them about while foraging. You cannot eradicate them. They are a part of the ecosystem. That's why you either have them in your soil or you don't. Chickens are a carrier, but aren't generally affected.

Most people prevent blackhead by not running turkeys on soil occupied by chickens previously or allowing them to mingle. In nature turkeys don't come in contact with chickens. I have not heard of blackhead occurring in wild turkey populations. Wild turkeys are constantly on the move so aren't as likely to have problems.

If you free range your turkeys and wild birds are carriers, there's no reason to assume that your turkeys won't get blackhead. Chickens being non-symptomatic would exacerbate the problem in that they'd spread the caecal worms that are protozoan carriers.

Regular deworming of your flock with albendazole and ivermectin will prevent caecal worms in your flock and in turn, will help to prevent the spread of the protozoan that causes blackhead. Both of these products are not approved for use in poultry in most countries, but are readily available in cattle and sheep drenches. If you're a backyard fancier that doesn't sell eggs, there's no real reason to not use either product.

It should be noted that these drugs are a preventative and not a cure. If you already have blackhead in your flock and they've been shedding roundworm eggs in their fecal matter, there's not a lot you can do about it and probably shouldn't mix your flocks. If you've been regularly deworming with effective broad spectrum drenches such as albendazole, you're probably good to go.

I deworm quarterly with broad spectrum drenches - ivermectin at the beginning of autumn and spring, and albendazole at the beginning of winter and summer. Then ad hoc after big rain periods.

If you free range your turkeys and wild birds are carriers, there's no reason to assume that your turkeys won't get blackhead.
That's a very good point!

I do not worm regularly, but instead send a fecal through my vet every few months to check for parasites - I've never had an issue with any. Sounds like possibly worming regularly for caecal worms would help to prevent or slow any spread? I would just hate to deworm / treat my flock if it's not needed (for worms that aren't an issue, etc...). Definitely something to consider if I do choose to get turkey hens. Thanks for all the info!

Worming never kills 100% of the worms. Repeatedly worming only causes worms to develop immunity to the wormers, so it isn't the answer long term.

Even in pure turkey flocks--wild and domesticated--blackhead can run through the flock; especially when free ranging.

You're right though, worming won't kill 100% of the worms, but killing 90% of them will reduce the risk of a worm infestation in your flock and in turn drastically reduce the protozoan that causes black head.

Worming by rotating through different broad spectrum drenches from different chemical families also reduces the chances of drug resistance in those worms(hence mectin and azole family drugs in rotation).

Not worming regularly will increase the chance of a worm infestation in your flock and will increase the chance of something like blackhead occurring.

Keeping in mind that the vast majority of backyard chicken keepers do not approach their vet about general husbandry, health complications, etc, and certainly not to bring a fecal sample for a float test, regular worming is the best way to prevent an outbreak...short of not keeping poultry at all, of course.

Back
Top Bottom