Chickens and wet weather

kodiakchicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
I'm a total newbie to the forum and to chicken raising so bear with me! Haven't even gotten my new little peeps yet.

What I am wondering is how difficult is it to raise chickens in a damp climate?

Kodiak gets an average rainfall of 7-12 inches per month. I am planning to build a coop that is fully enclosed by wire with a metal roof and a closeable nesting/roof area. My chickens will be layers and I understand the need to keep the litter dry. We live next door to a sawmill so we have an unending source of spruce sawdust. With all this in mind, what are some of the problems I might run into? Should I plan on building a solid bottom to the coop instead of leaving it open, since the ground is often wet?

I am getting cold-hardy varieties, even though we rarely see thing single digits. I'm more concerned about the moisture. I keep bunnies outside all winter in a hutch and just keep plenty of straw in the hutch and cover the wire with plastic.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hello Kodiak Chicken and Welcome to BYC,

I just moved down here to Alabama from Kodiak last summer when I retired from the Coast Guard. Are you out in Bells Flats? If so I know a couple of people out there that are raising chickens that maybe you could get ahold of to see what they got going on in the line of coops and what breeds they got.

I'm comming back up there at the end of next month for my daughters graduation.

Jayare

Jayare -

No, we're not in the Flats. We actually have a half acre right across from North Star Elementary out in Monashka. I know one person farther out that has chickens (she's busier than I am so haven't been able to pick her brains) but other names would be great.

Did you work at the Golden Anchor in the kitchen? Your name sounds familiar!

welcome-byc.gif

Just wanted to say hi....as far as the coop goes I know I would want a floor, and I'd put it a little bit off the ground. Especially because of the litter, since wet shavings/sawdust are a PITA
lau.gif
Maybe use some pressure treated lumber for the floor, or something like that. I know that I have my coop in an area of our yard that gets marshy when it rains, and if it was directly on the ground or had no floor I would be dealing with a pretty big mess. Right now I've got it on cinder block. Just a suggestion!! Good luck!!!

Christina

A solid bottom would keep the bedding in better condition in your climate.

Sawdust can be an issue due to the dust. Something to watch for is sneezing and wheezing.

Limiting drafts in the winter will keep your chickens healthy and happy. There are a few other members in Alaska that I am sure can assist you further.

Kodiak,
Yes, that is me. I was running the Golden Anchor for the last 4 years. I lived there for 6 of my 20 years in the Coast Guard, the other 2 years in Kodiak I was on the Alex Haley.

As far as names of the 2 people I know that have chickens and live in the Flats is (1) Ed, the other guy that has been at the Golden Anchor with me for the last 2 years and (2) You gotta know Ben from the Kodiak Brewery downtown right? Well his wife raises chickens and sells eggs there in Kodiak.

Jayare

Jayare,

I thought I recognized your name! I was part of setting up the NRA banquet and a Koniag banquet over the last few years, that's why I recognized you name. I mostly dealt with Ed though.

Thanks for the chicken raiser's names. I do know Ben but didn't know his wife was raising chickens. I'll have to search her out.

Thanks for the info!

Erin

For the rain, I would recommend covering your run. Were over on the Peninsula in Sterling and when our runs start getting wet they stink. It also helps in the winter time, less snow shoveling to get the birds outside during the day.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom