Chickens are being mean

OrganicChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Portland, OR
Added three 6 month old hens to my flock of 10 six month olds, the 10 established hens are being very mean to the new ones, pecking them, not letting them in the coop, stealing food, just randomly attacking them, chasing them all over the place. Even my bottom of the pecking order bird is being very mean and aggressive to the new ones. Is there anything I can do to get them not to pick on the new hens? I am thinking of just starting to eat them...

You can try to separate the new hens in an area of the coop, so that the two groups can see each other, but not come in contact with each other. Also, how much room is in your coop? It is recommended that each chicken has at least 3-4 square feet of room, which can also make a big impact in reducing bullying.

The bullies are pretty much all of my older birds with the exception of buttercup, ive never seen her do anything mean. The primary aggressors are snowflake, silvia, sativa, indica, and sissy. But thats most of my flock, i just wish there was a way to put them in their place. Was thinking about trying the trick ppl do with aggressive roosters hold them upside down under my arm or something

my coop is 6x4 and made to hold 15 so the space isn't an issue, plus they free range in my yard all day there's no way I can seperate them any more than i do already, since the older ones wont let the new ones sleep in the coop they roost in my large outdoor brooder box

The old breeds are all listed in my signature, we just added a cream legbar, an amaracauna, and a black marans x lavender ameracauna olive egger as well as a bantam phoenix rooster, the only one who has successfully integrated into the flock is the rooster

we added them 3 weeks ago, thought at first it was a passing thing that would change with time but if anything has gotten worse

Last edited:
From my experience, my older birds were also some of the bullies. I've done that with some chickens who would not behave, and it seems to work. Another thing I've tried is (it's not proven or anything, but I saw some phenomenal results) giving the chickens some garlic. I had a trouble hen who didn't need an excuse to attack any chicken she saw, then one day I gave my chickens some scrambled eggs and garlic, and she calmed down significantly.

The aren't being mean - they are being chickens. The introduction of new birds will prompt an assertion of (and resorting of) the pecking order. The established flock are letting the newbies know their place. In this situation there is no need to eat anyone, or interfere, until/unless it escalates beyond normal introductory pecking order stuff.

The aren't being mean - they are being chickens. The introduction of new birds will prompt an assertion of (and resorting of) the pecking order. The established flock are letting the newbies know their place. In this situation there is no need to eat anyone, or interfere, until/unless it escalates beyond normal introductory pecking order stuff.

I would say its above and beyond normal pecking order, they litterally won't let them eat or drink (so i had to give the new ones a seperate feeder and waterer) They are literally ruthlessly attacking the new ones anytime they come close to the established flock. I've got to do something about it, I imagine the new birds are terrified.

I've also tried pecking at the mean ones while they are being mean if i catch them doing it and they don't really seem to be affected by it other than to run away from me.

Last edited:
I would say its above and beyond normal pecking order, they litterally won't let them eat or drink (so i had to give the new ones a seperate feeder and waterer) They are literally ruthlessly attacking the new ones anytime they come close to the established flock. I've got to do something about it, I imagine the new birds are terrified.

That's pretty standard for integration of new birds into a flock.

Back
Top Bottom