Chickens are friends, not food!

This reminds me of the old admonition:

"Its always fun... til someone puts their eye put out."

We think we've trained the cat, when in fact, the biggest deterrent I've found for the common feline is the chicken itself. I've yet to see the domestic yard cat that will molest a full grown chicken, let alone a flock of them. They are usually interested enough to hang around, but not enough to try their luck with one.

Chicks are another matter, however. In our rush to "have all critters get along," we forget certain things. For example, let a cat get hungry and a chick wander a little too close and well... you can guess the rest.

But do as you will, the responsibility is yours. It does make for some cute picturres, that is for sure.

My barn kittens lived in the chicken coop for a couple of months until I was sure they would stick around home and until they were old enough for rabies shots and neutering. The chickens were all full grown. It took less than a day for the kittens to learn to move gently around the chickens. The full grown chickens were not shy about popping them on the head when they got out of line. They still will pop a cat that gets too close.

That being said, I do NOT trust them around chicks. The cats will sit outside the run and practically lick their lips. Chicks are tiny and jerky and look like prey. The chicks don't get to free range with the cats outside until they are mostly grown. I KNOW the cats will chase them and likely kill them. They are cats and that's just what they do.

Davaroo- the little known ending to that old admonition is "It's always fun and games until someone puts an eye out, but then you have an eye to play with!"
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sadly, this held true with finches, too. My 3-legged Siamese cat had disappeared and I was frantically looking for her. Either I neglected to get the door to the finch cage fastened well, or the smarty-pants cockatiel who can open cage doors decided he'd go visiting. I came back from my search to find the cage open and 5 dead finches and one dead diamond dove.
hit.gif
(I also found the cat later; she had drowned in a swimming pool). *not finding an emoticon for my broken heart* ...

Quote:
lau.gif
haha ya...the chicks were piling when i first stuck them in....but that little splash maran chick in the last picture cuddled right up to them...literally would snuggle to keep warm and the kitties didnt mind (for now).

also i do realize cats will do what they do best, but i knew no harm would come of doing this so young....and i think it made for some cute pics and i knew my BYC family would appreciate it as much as i did lol
thumbsup.gif

haha....i know i think i might.....at this stage i was more worried about the chicks ganging up and pecking at the kitties, rather than kittiens hurting chicks lol.....they all got along great tho....

*NOBODY WAS HURT IN THE MAKING OF THESE PICTURES*
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom