Chickens as therapy animals?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Mar 27, 2009.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I was wondering if it is possible to have a chicken certified as a therapy animal.I mean i would like to use it to go to schools with special needs children and long term care centers for old and handicapped people(and other places i cant think off the bet)
    I heard of other kind of farm animals doing it . Where should i start searching? I think that my self blue dutch banty shows real potential.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

A lot of people I know have Silkies as therapy animals...

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Are they certified? How would i do that?

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

That part I couldn't tell ya.... they are certified, I just dont know how they go about doing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't see why not. You may have to diaper it though if you took it to a nursing home....fear of bacteria, people with suppressed immune systems. etc...

I would not use a duck as a therapy animal...LOL

My autistic son is terrified of the ducks. He is 6'3" tall and 250lbs, but he is freaked out by the ducklings. He worries when they cry, but he just tells me... "Mommy, JJ, Bungie" but he wont go near them [​IMG]

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:The chick i am refering to will cuddle right down when held and puts her head down and closes its eyes when cuddeled. I figure a lot of old people would enjoy them and tell stories of when they were younger and had chickens. I had a older gentleman come by with his wife who had alzeimer, she loved feeding the ducks in my yard. I think he actually bought her some muscovies for the yard.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That is awesome. Some animals have great personalities for things like this.

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have often thought about this.
    We took a beagle to a nursing home to visit my mom, and a man that had had a stroke stroked her head and tried to talk. It was the first time he had tried to speak since his stroke. My mother was leaving, but we promised to take her back (the beagle), but she was hit by a car the following week. [we had never seen go towards the road before]
    I think it would be great for a lot of the older folks.

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    DD & I are going to visit a special ed class after Easter. Might try to get into a nursinghome after that. I think that chickens hold a place in the hearts of alot of our elders. Our youth have no clue where food comes from. These are two great reasons to bring chickens to the public.
    [​IMG]

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I brought some chicks to visit my grandmother once. everyone there loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by