Chickens at night coop

I do have an attached coop and run and we are currently building a twelve foot long by six foot wide run for them and then we are going to add on to the existing coop where it currently is to give them more space. There is an open door with no way to close it off to keep them in but once they are out in then they stay in. I noticed last night that they all gathered in and around one of three nesting boxes. We had some ugly storms last night so I checked on them in between the rain. They are fine. I'm hoping they catch on soon and go in on their own.

They will, if they were by a nesting box, you have the battle won.. Wait until you get turkeys and have to teach the teens they can't stay out all night...That is a battle royale!

Five were in a nesting box and one was roosting on the side of it. Very cute as they are only a month old and a few days. I have no intentions of getting a turkey. lol I'm good with my six girls here.

Five were in a nesting box and one was roosting on the side of it. Very cute as they are only a month old and a few days. I have no intentions of getting a turkey. lol I'm good with my six girls here.

Everyone needs a turkey!!! :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

If they continue to "sleep" in the box, cover the entry at night. They will learn to roost then for sure.

The theee nesting boxes are inside the coop. Once I place them in the coop, they don't come out.

I did put their food in their with them last night because I knew we were expecting storms.

The theee nesting boxes are inside the coop. Once I place them in the coop, they don't come out.

I assumed it was inside, I just do not like to get them started sleeping in the nesting boxes as it is a hard habit to break when they get older and the eggs get poopy...

That said, I do let my old hens that are on their last legs sleep in the nesting boxes, because I feel sorry for them....

Lol! My husband says I'm domesticating my girls too much by spoiling them. Then I find him out there talking to them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom