Chicken's beak smells foul

tofupup

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
My favorite hen has been looking a little sluggish for the past few days. I didn't think much of it, really, until I picked her up to kiss her and smelled the stench of rotting death coming from her beak. It's not a sour smell; it's a smell like rotting meat.

Actually it smells exactly like when the hens break eggs in their nest and then the eggs ooze into the straw and get all rotted and maggots form. Super gross, I know.

Has anyone ever smelled this coming from a chicken's beak? It's definitely coming from her beak, not any other spot on her body. She is walking around the house now, ate a little corn and water. She's not acting super sick, just kind of blah.

Thanks for any input.

My favorite hen has been looking a little sluggish for the past few days. I didn't think much of it, really, until I picked her up to kiss her and smelled the stench of rotting death coming from her beak. It's not a sour smell; it's a smell like rotting meat.

Actually it smells exactly like when the hens break eggs in their nest and then the eggs ooze into the straw and get all rotted and maggots form. Super gross, I know.

Has anyone ever smelled this coming from a chicken's beak? It's definitely coming from her beak, not any other spot on her body. She is walking around the house now, ate a little corn and water. She's not acting super sick, just kind of blah.

Thanks for any input.

Sour crop is the problem and common and wet or fermented feed will stop it ....

Get a jar and mix some oil and water up and do you have a way of getting it into her crop ...
After the oil and water mix is in her crop turn her so the rear it in the air and head is down you are trying to drain her or make her vomit to clear out the crop just do this a couple of times a day and yes it works ...

This is what I use to accomplish the job and the animal feed store should have something similar ....

Okay, thanks. I do have a syringe feeder, so I can do that, but this smell is not sour. It smells exactly like rotten meat. I thought sour crop was supposed to smell sour, not rotten?

Also, i just washed her entire head, and when she exhaled, i think I smelled it coming from her nares. Is this possible? Like a respiratory infection that smells like rotting meat?

It is called sour crop but smells like a dead cat left in a plastic bag out in the sun or close enough then that is what it is unless there are open wounds on the chickens head and a good way to clear it out is to help her chock it up and out and let her rest before repeating the process and you know it is not a fun thing to do .......

Oh my goodness, good to know! That is very disgusting. I thought she'd rolled in a pile of dead rats or something. I'm going to have the vet vomit her this afternoon and after this I will know how to do it. Thanks!

I had success using my tube feeding kit to flush out his crop with warm water, rubbing the crop externally, and adding monistat to the crop using tube feeding kit. I didn't vomit him at all. I used the monistat about as big as a penny for 5 days mixed with feed in the tube to get it in crop with no waste.

Dino was horrible smelling, his crop was swollen to size of a softball or a small cantaloupe. He hasn't had the problem since.

If anyone's wondering, the vet ran a culture on this hen, gave her Clavamox for an anaerobic bacterial infection, and she cleared up. Yay!

I have a hen and her mouth smelt like rotten eggs. It smelt really really bad. The vet found an ulcer under her tongue and gave her anti-biotics and it got cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom