Chickens being bullies

Megs_menagerie

Chirping
May 16, 2021
Hi everyone,
I know there’s other posts on here probably related to mine, but I am new to chickens. I had one of my hens (of course my favorite one) get stuck under a piece of plywood the feeder sets on in the coop a couple days ago. She was bloody and bald in a 2 inch by 1 inch strip up from her tail, besides rubbing on the plywood I suspect the other chickens were after her also as she’s kind of the lowest in the pecking order. All I had at the time to use was Alushield aerosol bandage but it’s been staying on the wound site and keeping it from bleeding. Should I keep using the aerosol bandage or switch to something else? I haven’t had to reapply yet but I’m curious. Also should I keep her separate while she heals? She’s acting fine but it’s going to be getting colder this weekend and I don’t want her too stressed. Right now she also wants lots of cuddles for me and has been staying in or very close to the coop with the wind we have lately. Thanks for any and all help!

As long as the others are not picking on her excessively I would leave her with the flock. Reintroduction is always a problem after separation.

If you do decide to keep her separate make sure that she can see the other chickens but cannot get pecked by them since she is lower down the pecking order. If you see anymore pecking I would suggest keeping separate until she heals

Back
Top Bottom