Chickens broken beak

lovemuffin0627

Hatching
Mar 14, 2016
Ohio
My chickens beak got smashed I have pictures cleaned it with the peroxide and separated her from the flock haven't seen her eat yet I just am not sure on where to go from here? Will it heal on its own? I read about using glue gel but I want to know it's safe first? I'm new on here and new to having chickens haven't had any problems until now

My chickens beak got smashed I have pictures cleaned it with the peroxide and separated her from the flock haven't seen her eat yet I just am not sure on where to go from here? Will it heal on its own? I read about using glue gel but I want to know it's safe first? I'm new on here and new to having chickens haven't had any problems until now
Oh, no! That doesn't look good. Please head over to the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section for some advice. Hope your hen will be okay!

Hello there, and thank you for joining us here at Backyard Chickens! I am sorry it is not under better circumstances though. I agree with the above posts, put her over in the emergence section and you will get better help. I have included a link to your state thread, you might like to talk to some semi local yokels over there. I hope you enjoy BYC and good luck with your poor chicken!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

She got to close to the gate when I was closing it and before I could stop her or myself she stuck her beak in there when I closed it :/ thanks for the links they helped I'm keeping her separated from the others, I have five other hens

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That is indeed a pretty nasty looking break, but thankfully beaks tend to heal pretty well. I usually just apply some Neosporin and leave them to heal. Make sure she's eating plenty, as beak injuries can discourage eating.

Back
Top Bottom