Chicken's broken leg healing - Now what?

trailrider330

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Midwest America
First of all, thank you to all of you at Backyard Chickens who have posted about broken legs in the past. Those posts have been very helpful in getting us to this point. However, I am hoping for some more input to get us the rest of the way.

About 4 weeks ago, one of our two-year-old hens broke her leg. It was a clear and obvious break. Thanks to help from this website, we decided to segregate her, and disinfect, pad, splint, and vetwrap her leg and hope for the best. She remained alert, ate and drank, has been easy to work with, etc. We continued to monitor her and regularly changed her bandage/splint. She has been the model patient and has even been laying eggs on a regular basis.

It is now 4 weeks later and I am wondering... At what point should we leave the splint/wrap off? And, at what point do we reintroduce her back to the flock?

We try to get her out and moving around a couple hours each day and closely observe her in her interactions with her free-ranging flockmates. She is slowly starting to put some weight on the leg and would possibly use it more if not for the splint. She also appears to have maintained her spot in the pecking order and is not afraid to put some of the other hens in their place. Yet, we are worried about letting her back in the coop for fear that she might try to roost and fall, or have to deal with our rooster "doing what roosters do" and re-injure herself.

We definitely do not want her to re-break/re-injure her leg by returning her to the flock too soon, but it is clear that she wants to be with her flockmates (she "talks" to them all the time and seems antsy to get out of her enclosure and join them).

My initial thought is to unwrap the leg and see how she does for a couple weeks, then let her free-range during the day with the flock and keep her separate at night for a couple more weeks, and then have her with the flock full-time by 8 weeks post-injury.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated?

Thank you for your response and for the link. That does help.

The coop is roughly 11' X 10' and she is in an extra large dog crate that is roughly 3' X 4' so that would definitely work. I would just have to find a good way to cover the crate. Past experience has shown that the rest of the flock likes to try and roost on the crate, whether it remains on the floor or up on carpentry horses, and this creates quite a mess on the crate and for whomever is in the crate. Perhaps a spare piece of plywood if I can round one up??? Then it is just dealing with the mess on the plywood.

Back
Top Bottom