Chickens cause UTI's in humans, say CDC

Ya, what a load of BS! Next thing we'll know, they will try to outlaw chicken for our own good! Crazy folks.

Check out a documentary called "Fresh"...........it's all about big agriculture and how it's done for more, more more production for less less less $$$. I'm all about free-markets and people can choose to eat whatever from whomever they please, but this film exposes alot of truths about how we have screwed up basic ecology and it's killing us - people should at least be aware of how things are done to make informed choices.

WOW, I thought I was just posting an interesting article, not opening a can of worms! I've got to tell you, I'm probably one of the most "anti big government" folks you'll find, but I fail to see how this research article has any potential whatsoever of causing Uncle Sam to ban chicken, or backyard production of chickens.

You know, if you REALLY want to get PO'd about goverment interference, why not take a pot-shot at something more REAL, such as THIS https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-backyarders-like-most-of-us#post_8575607 This is a PRIME example of government dreaming up something just to create more income for itself and more Pains In The As* for all the rest of us.

The article states that this is retail chicken, which means battery hens in crowded conditions

With meat chickens, that would be broiler houses. If you've never been in one - it's quite the experience. No matter how well it's done, there is still a huge amount of birds in one long-house.

Along with the broiler houses, there is the subject of how these birds are then processed - mechanically and on assembly-line style conveyors.

Yes, this report is about retail grocery store chicken where the bacteria originates, but how it ends up causing UTIs is all about hygiene in the home. For the first lab session of diagnostic microbiology, the professor had a simple hands-on portion: he brought in a special lotion with fluorescent microbeads in it and had us all put it on our hands and allow it to dry. Then he instructed us to go wash our hands while turning off the lights and bringing out a small blacklight. Only ONE person passed that exercise - a licensed EMT. The rest of us (myself included) had only thought we knew how to properly wash our hands. He certainly had our attention for the lecture portion of that session!

CDC is a Joke. I contacted them about a 85% cancer rate in a small community I lived in. There was NO investigation, NO questions, NO intrest at all. But somehow they tie UTI to Chickens. You would probably get better results if you try tying UTI to personal hygene.

Comfrey causes liver failure.
Raw milk will kill you.
Free range chickens will kill you.
Grass fed beef will kill you.
Herbal remedies are much more dangerous that pharmaceuticals.
Pot makes you cray, lazy, violent, or stupid, depending on what time of the month it is and who is writing the op-eds.
Hemp is the same thing as Cannabis.
Pregnant or nursing women are often prescribed narcotic painkillers, but are told not to use any natural remedies to mitigate nausea, heartburn, etc.
Your dog will be healthier eating processed grains and animal byproducts than raw foods.
Same for your chickens.
And goats.
And children.

Yep, thank god for the C D C.
barnie.gif

Food Borne Illness, cross contamination and handwashing
ep.gif

Who would ever imagine such horrors- it's obviously a vast government conspiracy.
roll.png

Imp-
pop.gif

With meat chickens, that would be broiler houses. If you've never been in one - it's quite the experience. No matter how well it's done, there is still a huge amount of birds in one long-house.

Along with the broiler houses, there is the subject of how these birds are then processed - mechanically and on assembly-line style conveyors.

Yes, this report is about retail grocery store chicken where the bacteria originates, but how it ends up causing UTIs is all about hygiene in the home. For the first lab session of diagnostic microbiology, the professor had a simple hands-on portion: he brought in a special lotion with fluorescent microbeads in it and had us all put it on our hands and allow it to dry. Then he instructed us to go wash our hands while turning off the lights and bringing out a small blacklight. Only ONE person passed that exercise - a licensed EMT. The rest of us (myself included) had only thought we knew how to properly wash our hands. He certainly had our attention for the lecture portion of that session!

I think you nailed it. The more a food is processed/handled, the better the chance of contamination with all sorts of things that can make people sick. Having good personal hygiene as well as excellent food prep practices becomes increasingly important. I remember my microbio prof stressing the important of food preparation hygiene, especially with raw meats. Wiping down a counter with a dish cloth or spraying it with Lysol or rinsing a knife with hot water just doesn't do the job of killing/removing harmful bacteria. It doesn't help that some people seem to have the attitude that if they buy it in a store then it's safe (or safer) than something they got from a local farm or backyarder like many of us.

Well, as a long term care/home health nurse, UTIs are a subject near and dear to my heart
wink.png
I actually read the entire study. Basically, commercial chickens can have the same bacteria in their gut that ladies can get in their bladdar. They made no mention of method of transmission, and admitted there was no diet study conducted on the women with utis. I'd be interested in reading their follow up research, how they say the transmission happens, as stated, from the chicken's poop to the women's bladdar. I think there's more to it, did they sample non symptomatic women for this e.coli? Maybe we all carry it and are asymptomatic most of the time, just as we are to our own e.coli in our guts. I've probably got a lot more thoughts on this, but dinner won't cook itself!

dfr1973 wrote: Yes, this report is about retail grocery store chicken where the bacteria originates, but how it ends up causing UTIs is all about hygiene in the home. For the first lab session of diagnostic microbiology, the professor had a simple hands-on portion: he brought in a special lotion with fluorescent microbeads in it and had us all put it on our hands and allow it to dry. Then he instructed us to go wash our hands while turning off the lights and bringing out a small blacklight. Only ONE person passed that exercise - a licensed EMT. The rest of us (myself included) had only thought we knew how to properly wash our hands. He certainly had our attention for the lecture portion of that session!

This bears repeating. If anyone wants to dig into the details of larger studies and issues surrounding `contamination' I'd recommend reading the final FDA decision on the recall/withdrawal of the use of Baytril in poultry The ACTUAL RISK of the promotion of a drug resistant strain of Campylobacter (can cause GI illness - many sources) in broiler flocks was relatively small (8 wk to slaughter). And, yes, it was stipulated that NEARLY ALL human cases that could be traced - in some manner - to eating poultry happened to be suffered by those eating chicken in restaurants almost NEVER occurring in individuals preparing poultry at home (conclusion agreed to: the restaurant staff was passing their Campylobacter on to the customers - poultry was not the source). That Bayer's lawyers argued that the `best' reason for continued use was that the Broilers would grow to a more uniform size so, that at slaughter, the automated gutters wouldn't be so likely to miss and spill contaminated GI contents onto that and other birds, wasn't very convincing. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/ucm042004.htm

Washing one's hands and COOKING THE BIRDS THOROUGHLY - 99.9% of the chance of contracting any illness from prep/eating poultry (anything else for that matter) disappears.

Must have been a slow news day for those jokers to pop this story -- gotta sell that soap...(keep the readers/viewers stress hormones up so they pay attention to the sponsors).

Well, as a long term care/home health nurse, UTIs are a subject near and dear to my heart
wink.png
I actually read the entire study. Basically, commercial chickens can have the same bacteria in their gut that ladies can get in their bladdar. They made no mention of method of transmission, and admitted there was no diet study conducted on the women with utis. I'd be interested in reading their follow up research, how they say the transmission happens, as stated, from the chicken's poop to the women's bladdar. I think there's more to it, did they sample non symptomatic women for this e.coli? Maybe we all carry it and are asymptomatic most of the time, just as we are to our own e.coli in our guts. I've probably got a lot more thoughts on this, but dinner won't cook itself!

What I found most interesting about this study were the PROPORTIONS of various strains of e. coli found in the samples. "Of the 41 isolates from retail meat, 6 (15%) were from retail beef, 29 (71%) from retail chicken, and 6 (15%) from retail pork. Considering the sampling proportions (66% beef and pork [484/737] and 34% chicken [253/737]), the fraction of isolates from beef and pork related to isolates from humans with UTIs was significantly lower than expected on the basis of the sampling fraction (29% observed vs. 66% expected; p<0.001, χ2 test). "

Back
Top Bottom