Chickens crowd around my feet!

Pamdsa

Chirping
Jul 21, 2021
I have 8 young, 10 week old chickens. They are outside in an enclosed yard 12 metres x 3 metres. No matter how quiet I try to be, they always know when I’m opening the gate and run to meet me. I have to open the gate and squeeze in such a way as to ensure a. they don’t get struck by the gate and b. so they don’t run out or slip by me. Once I’m in, they crowd around my feet and it is hard to walk! Yesterday I stepped on someone’s foot. My only way in and out is to throw treats away from myself to distract them. I’m feeling the love but would like a solution too. Any ideas on how I can manage this? Thanks.

Could you add an additional gate so that as you enter through one gate they can’t get out because you haven’t opened the second gate.
You don’t always have to throw treats, you could throw some of their chicken feed.
They have trained you well and they love that you love them and spoil them.
I laughed when you said they’ve trained me well lol!! My husband would say the same I’m sure 😃

It's cute, to a point, BUT they need to get out of your way. Walk through them, and shove them out of your path, not hard, but make it uncomfortable to be under your feet. Treats thrown further away are good, but they can learn to not crowd.
Mary
It’s not cute anymore - not now I stepped on a toe! I do keep walking through - I don’t stop - but they are winning because I’m nervous about hurting them.

Carry a bucket, or something, and bump them out of your path, 'accidently' It needs to be nicer to be out of your personal space, rather than crowding in. Squishing one, or falling yourself, aren't better options.
Mary

Carry a bucket, or something, and bump them out of your path, 'accidently' It needs to be nicer to be out of your personal space, rather than crowding in. Squishing one, or falling yourself, aren't better options.
Mary
Oh a bucket is a good idea!

They are easily trained with food. Throw treats on one side (Away from gate ) before you go to the gate. I do a tongue click and always call out here babies. Now that they are older they hear my tongue click or me saying babies they run over to the opposite side of the pen. I never give food or treats from the gated area. I do have hens act as if they are going to walk out of the gate but it is mostly excitement. They are trying to see where or what I am going to do ( I am the food treat water person). So, when I walk in farther they run on up to me leaving the gate . I also do not place things by my feet. I don't want them to associate my legs with food.

They're coming to cluster around because they know you bring treats whenever they see you. So I'd discontinue treats as you're walking through for now, and see if that causes them to not clump up around you so much.

The bucket is a good idea, I'm often carrying a pooper scooper so I just nudge them out of my way if needed.

I don't worry about birds escaping out the open run door. Even if mine walk out they don't go anywhere. That'd be a better time for treat bribery, to encourage them to come back in.

I have a large stick (like a broomstick) that I use to push them back. It's mainly for my rooster, but when I come to the gate, I need to push everyone back so I can get in.

Yeah, they have me trained too.

Back
Top Bottom