Chickens crowd around my feet!

Just thinking about how to get them to run out, maybe put a small fence/gate (short enough to step over) at the opening. They’d have to jump it to get out when you open it, which would help you keep them in.

Just thinking about how to get them to run out, maybe put a small fence/gate (short enough to step over) at the opening. They’d have to jump it to get out when you open it, which would help you keep them in.

I did this. I added a piece of osb that was about 12" tall, to my door opening. The girls no longer try to run out, and I just step over the wood.

Oh boy. This is my flock (but it's my own fault because I love on them way too much from day one :p). AND if they know I have a treat (anything but their usual feed - lettuce, watermelon slices etc.) they're even worse (some of them jump up and peck at whatever I'm carrying. Ugh. Absolutely NO manners ...). Anyway, if I really need them to get out of the way, I bring in a little scratch (I scatter this on the ground for them every other day) and throw a handful away from me. Usually gets most of them to head off. Now, just imagine if they were the size of their dinosaur ancestors ... :eek:

Yeah I do keep a 14-16"-ish tall white wire closet shelf bungeed across my run entrances, and it's enough to keep most birds from just wandering out (and I can simply step over it for easy access). But even if my chickens walk out more are tame enough to grab or coax back. I just don't want them wandering around and pooping while I'm trying to do other things.

gate.jpg

I’ve been away from this post for a while. So, I started carrying a thin garden rake in with me and I gently let it enter ahead of me and use it to gently keep them at distance - works fantastic!! I also just had to surrender my cockerels. Of my 8 hatched chicks, 5 were roos, at now approaching 12 weeks they were making a heck of a noise right on 6am!!! So, I’ve surrendered them back to the breeder and the 3 hens are so much calmer - don’t run at me or try to run past me! Must have been a bit thing haha. Thanks for all your insights and suggestions 😃

Back
Top Bottom