Chickens dealing w/ grief. Dog dangers.

Spacekitten7

Chirping
May 8, 2021
We have (had) 3, 8 week old hens as of yesterday morning. They were in thier run just doing chicken stuff, when I saw from the window a strange dog running circles around the run. I got outside as fast as I could I immediately saw our sweet Rhode Island White, Ellie, lying still in a corner. The wire looked disturbed but not broken. There were feathers everywhere. My husband took off after the dog who ran into a neighbors garage and I went in the run and picked Ellie up. I don't understand how this medium sized dog grabbed her through the wire (it wasn't even broken) and killed her, but none the less she was dead. She appeared to be punctured in her side.
Its been a pretty intense 24 hours, emotionally. These chickens are my children's pets, this one in particular is my 9 year olds. He has been pretty much inconsolable. He usually sits in the mornings and afternoons with her. She eat from his hand, snuggles him and sleeps in his lap.
I am upset and angry. With the dog, whomever it belongs to and for my novice failings at making the run super secure. It never did occur to me that a dog would do this. We have a 70lb pit mix and he sniffs the chicks and leaves them be. They were not scared of dogs.
We live in a rural area, unfortunately people tend to let thier dogs run wild. The sheriff has advised us to shot the dog or any dog if it comes around our chickens. 😬 I want to avoid that and just find a way to keep them extra safe from dogs. What do I do???
Our remaining chickie girls seem very upset, Ellie was kinda the alpha and them seem to be calling for her / looking for her. They are also not eating well and are staying inside thier coop. They just seem, you know sad and scared. How can I help them through this? Will they just move on?

Has anyone else had issues with dogs as predators and dealing with mourning chickens??

A picture of sweet Ellie and the dog that killed her.

Attachments

• 20210508_174028.jpg
    20210508_174028.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210508_191412.jpg
    20210508_191412.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210508_174025.jpg
    20210508_174025.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210509-111038_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-111038_Facebook.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 17
I'm so sorry for your loss, I have relationships with my hebs much like your son does and it would me devastating to loose one like that.

Some would say to shoot it but chances are it belongs to someone, they wouldn't be too happy. You can call animal control and see what they can do for you.
It will likely be back so make sure to secure their run. If you use chicken wire then change it to hardware cloth immediately. Chicken wire does nothing against predators.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I have relationships with my hebs much like your son does and it would me devastating to loose one like that.

Some would say to shoot it but chances are it belongs to someone, they wouldn't be too happy. You can call animal control and see what they can do for you.
It will likely be back so make sure to secure their run. If you use chicken wire then change it to hardware cloth immediately. Chicken wire does nothing against predators.
Because we are outside side of city limits, there aren't animal control services. We're left to our own devices in the sticks. I called the sheriff and he told me shoot the dog. And if I can find the owner file civil charges. The dog took refuge in our neighbors garage and we posted a pic in fb trying to locate the owners.
I don't think I can hurt any animal, but I definitely wanted to yesterday. It was just awful. Her sisters are not acting right today and climbed up under my shirt when I went to check on them just a bit ago.
We definitely need to better reinforce the run.

I told my husband I didn't think it was secure enough when we got it set up, but he said I was being dramatic and overly cautious. So to avoid the argument I said okay, it's fine. And I feel incredibly guilty as does he. A terrible lesson.

I told my husband I didn't think it was secure enough when we got it set up, but he said I was being dramatic and overly cautious. So to avoid the argument I said okay, it's fine. And I feel incredibly guilty as does he. A terrible lesson.
It happens to us all. Even myself, I lost far too many bird's before I realized my mistake.

Because we are outside side of city limits, there aren't animal control services. We're left to our own devices in the sticks. I called the sheriff and he told me shoot the dog. And if I can find the owner file civil charges. The dog took refuge in our neighbors garage and we posted a pic in fb trying to locate the owners.
I don't think I can hurt any animal, but I definitely wanted to yesterday. It was just awful. Her sisters are not acting right today and climbed up under my shirt when I went to check on them just a bit ago.
We definitely need to better reinforce the run.

I understand, I couldn't hurt one either. I had a couple stray dogs show up last week and luckily I found their owner through FB. Wait a few days to see if you get a response but secure your run.

Dogs are predators and chickens are prey, so it’s not the dog’s fault for being a dog, or yours for predator/prey relationships. Everything goes after chickens (sometimes even other chickens!). I wouldn’t recommend shooting the dog, but in many states you have that right to do so. Maybe take it to the pound instead. From what I’ve heard and read, confronting the dog’s owner - if any - doesn’t often turn out for the better., unfortunately. Never leave chickens untended with a dog, even your own - all it takes is one flutter and predator instinct to kick in, or an over- boisterous playing, and you have chicken dinner.

As far as your run - not sure what you have up for fencing panels, but if a dog can get it’s snout or head in, most likely other potential predators can get in like possums, skunks, and rats. We had skunks moseying in right through our pen. Fortunately all it did was eat an egg (it was winter and only one hen was laying). We put up chicken wire over the paneling and that took care of the problem.

You don't have to guess, I stated as much.
Sorry missed it. Good time to point out to the hubby chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. It doesn't keep anything else out and your worries were well founded.

Personally I woulda shot the dog on site. I've done had to shoot a few during calving season because the idiot on the next property thinks it's ok to take in every stray, feed them every other month, and let them roam. He's done called the sheriff on me and got a fine because his dogs were destroying my property. Plus the sheriff was kind enough to suggest I bill him and hand delivered it for me.

Back
Top Bottom