Chickens do the darndest things

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellevueOmlet, Jun 7, 2011.

1. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have seen a lot of posts lately about odd and cute things Chickens do. New funny and odd things every day.

Post what weird or funny things your chickens do.

My 10 week old plymoth rock likes to play leap frog with the other chickens. She will run and jump Over the other chickens. It is so cute.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    LEAPFROG!! Haha!

Um.. my kiddos are still in the 'brooder' dog kennel. One has discovered the perches I added.. I mean 2, and I think others are noticing them too and trying to get up. A lot of flaping wings!

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    My chickens FORCE me to put on the outside lights after dark so they can get the current slew of june beetles passing through. They readily get off the perches, and they and the ducks dart outside for the feast.
    i am fully expected to catch some and hand feed them too. I fear they will peck me to death if I do not comply. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My EE flies up onto my arm for treats.

5. ozzchicken

ozzchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Bethlehem,Pa
    Mine like to chase the water coming out of the sprinkler, then when they get wet they run from it,
    then they keep chasing it till they get wet then they run from it again. They do this for about a half an hour.
    it is hilarious to watch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG] I wish I had sprinklers so I could try that with my chickens. It sounds hilarious and I would love to see that.

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I have a BO pullet that attacks our pet dog. She literally chases the dog around the yard, squawking and pecking at the dog until the poor dog cowers in fear and runs back in the house. The chickens used to live in fear of the dog, but now they know that "Buffy the Dog Slayer" will keep them all safe. [​IMG]

8. sahmsister1

sahmsister1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Utah
    I can't wait to watch my little girls! I've only had them for about 4 hours now, and have already noticed distinct personalities. One of the little sweeties was running up to me and trying to cuddle! These chicks are way better than tv:) I hope my kids think so this summer!

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have a black australorp that runs my hair through her beak. I think she is grooming me.

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a little serama cockerel that has a foot fettish [​IMG] He walks away from the little group and comes over and stands on my foot or shoe. If I move him and start walking he'll get under my feet waiting for me to stop so he can stand back up on my shoe/foot. [​IMG]

I have a 3yr old leghorn hen Krispy that likes to spar with me. I'm the only one who comes out with scratchs,bite marks, bruises or even sometimes bloody [​IMG]

Coco my bantam rosecomb RIR will fly straight at me expecting to catch her...- I always do [​IMG]

Many others but I can't think of them it is to late for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by