Chickens don’t like Carhartt

Angelfishie

Songster
Jul 24, 2019
Beggs, OK
Fall has arrived in our area, and I’m fairly intolerant, mainly of the wind. So, this afternoon I put on my big, bulky Carhartt jacket to go change the chicken water. At the time I didn’t understand what was going on, but they went bonkers, two of them even flying into the fence head first, the majority running away as fast as they could.

Later I stepped out on the porch without the coat and they seemed normal. I figure it had to be the coat. So, at scratch time (time to go back to the pen) I put on the coat again. I practically had to beg them to come get their ration of scratch.

Once they figured out I wasn’t a monster they trickled into the pen. Normally they’ll eat from my hand but most of them wouldn’t get near me.

I was fairly entertained by the whole deal (except the flying head first into the fence) and now understand why we call people “chicken” when they’re scared. :lau

Fall has arrived in our area, and I’m fairly intolerant, mainly of the wind. So, this afternoon I put on my big, bulky Carhartt jacket to go change the chicken water. At the time I didn’t understand what was going on, but they went bonkers, two of them even flying into the fence head first, the majority running away as fast as they could.

Later I stepped out on the porch without the coat and they seemed normal. I figure it had to be the coat. So, at scratch time (time to go back to the pen) I put on the coat again. I practically had to beg them to come get their ration of scratch.

Once they figured out I wasn’t a monster they trickled into the pen. Normally they’ll eat from my hand but most of them wouldn’t get near me.

I was fairly entertained by the whole deal (except the flying head first into the fence) and now understand why we call people “chicken” when they’re scared. :lau
that is too funny....i have a pair of rubber shoes i wear in the run...some of my girls dont like them, they just peck and peck them...but if i change to a different pair they dont even go near them.....

Back
Top Bottom